The nats in Louisville next year

Started by Topsterguy, October 11, 2004, 11:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I live in Victoria BC Canada (eh!) and me and the little woman and some friends in Wa are planning to do the nats next year in my 32 Ford coupe and my pal's 32 Ford tudor - long drive but the trip's the hoot! Anyone out there familiar with the hotels down there, or lives in Louisville, that might have some suggestions on picking/ finding a hotel? Never having been there before it's pretty hard to know where the hotels are even if you're dealing with them via phone or internet. Any ideas would be appreciated! :?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Stayed at the Holiday Inn about 5 miles from the fairgrounds.Very rodder friendly,about $100 per night.Denise stayed a bit farther away but had a great room at a very good rate...perhaps she will chime in shortly.I live in Nebraska and should be on your line of travel on the way down...your crew would be more than welcome to spend an overnight with us...our home is always available to anyone passing thru.Sounds like a fun trip!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Topsterguy

Hey 40, thanks for the reply! When you're making reservations on something like this you don't really know what you're getting and where you'll wind up! :roll:  We drove a 38 Chev PU to the nats in Oklahoma from here in 97 and put 5700 miles on for the trip and overall the accomodation we booked worked out okay. (* off that we got beat out for long distance by a guy who shipped his car from Australia, trailered it to outside the grounds, and drove it in tho!! :x )And about the accomo offer on the way down, much appreciated, it's always great to get together with other hot rodders on a trip like that! I'll keep it in mind!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

I stayed about 20 miles west of Lville this year, found a room at the last minute at a resonable price.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

alchevy

I have been going to the Nats at Louisville since 1999 and here's my experience with hotels & such:
One year I stayed on the East side of Louisville and it took around 30 minutes to get back to the motel in the afternoons because the traffic was so heavy. Now we stay about 15 miles South of Louisville and since the fairgrounds are on the South side of town, it's very easy to get out of the most traffic quickly and it only takes around 15 minutes. There are several communities South of town with motels at each exit and there are plenty of restaurants in the area.

Book your motel as soon as you can because they fill up fast, do it now!
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Topsterguy

Thanks a lot for your input, Folks, much appreciated! :wink:

348tripower

Stayed in Sheperdsville last year. Good motel, the Baymont, but they jacked up the price to $147.00  from $69.00 a night. Made reservations another 15 minutes south in Elizabethtown at a Ramada Inn, for $59.00 per night.   :D Pool, hot tub, continental breakfast, easy on easy off the eway. Seems like all these hotel and motels, that are close, like to gouge for special events.  :( I don't mind a half hour ride for good accomidations at a resonable price. Besides, it give the car a change to warm up properly on the way.  :lol:
Don

Quote from: "Topsterguy"I live in Victoria BC Canada (eh!) and me and the little woman and some friends in Wa are planning to do the nats next year in my 32 Ford coupe and my pal's 32 Ford tudor - long drive but the trip's the hoot! Anyone out there familiar with the hotels down there, or lives in Louisville, that might have some suggestions on picking/ finding a hotel? Never having been there before it's pretty hard to know where the hotels are even if you're dealing with them via phone or internet. Any ideas would be appreciated! :?
Don Colliau

Bob K

Quote from: "Topsterguy"I live in Victoria BC Canada (eh!) and me and the little woman and some friends in Wa are planning to do the nats next year in my 32 Ford coupe and my pal's 32 Ford tudor - long drive but the trip's the hoot! Anyone out there familiar with the hotels down there, or lives in Louisville, that might have some suggestions on picking/ finding a hotel? Never having been there before it's pretty hard to know where the hotels are even if you're dealing with them via phone or internet. Any ideas would be appreciated! :?

I've got a block of rooms at a Holiday Inn just south of the fairgrounds, (2 miles) they are 105.00.

PM me if you need one.

Bob
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Skip

Best place to try and book a room would be, as has been mentioned, on the south side of the city.

I've stayed up in Indiana where the rooms are a whole lot cheaper but the drive through the city, albeit a short one, can get on your nerves since you'll most likely be in rush hour traffic in, both, the a.m. and p.m.

Been there, done that, now I pay the long dollar and stay at the Executive Inn across the street.

One word of caution.  It's probably NOT a good idea to try and circumvent the Convention & Visitor's Bureau hotel lottery.  I've long ago lost track of the number of friends and acquaintances that have booked their own rooms at  hotels on NSRA's list only to receive a letter in the mail just before they're about to leave for the event telling them their rooms have been cancelled, usually due to "overbooking".

If you're going to book your own room, try and book it at a hotel that's NOT on NSRA's list.

Before the widespread use of the Internet made room-booking easy, I'd call someone in one of our field service offices (I used to work for Digital Equipment Corporation) and have them send me the Yellow Pages for the host city.  Now all you need to do is go in the Internet and look at someplace like Switchboard.com and look up hotels/motels.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Topsterguy

Again, thanks a bunch everyone! Being from the other side of the world over here as far west as you can go in Canada it's hard to know the best way etc to book a room over there ! :?