Pakenham 2004

Started by old32, October 24, 2004, 10:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old32

Back in the late 50's and early 60's at Pakenham, just out of Melbourne Down Under there was Victorias first drag strip. It lasted only a few years before moving to Fishermans Bend. It had a concrete start pad and the rest was across the dirt.
Next month the padock where it all happend is going to be dug up as the onramp to a new freeway.
My club, the Thunderbirds decided to have a small picnic gathering before the site dissapeared, about 150 cars rolled up send the strip on its way.
Here are a few pics of some of the event.
We thought Carps might turn up but he's probably resting for the big picnic next weekend about 1/2 a mile down the road.

:twisted:  :twisted: The Older I Get The Faster I Was :twisted:  :twisted:

47wood

Lottsa nice rides but too many of them have the steering wheel on the wrong side!!!   :wink:  :lol:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

enjenjo

Looks like there was a good turn out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pep

Did the rods have one last run down the strip, or did the power that be prevent it.....Looked like a good day.
See Ya
Pep

old32

Quote from: "Pep"Did the rods have one last run down the strip, or did the power that be prevent it.....Looked like a good day.

No its just a cow paddock now, a bit too bumpy and lots of cow pats.

Eddy Thomas, John English, Bluey Wilson and some other old timers were there to chat with and sign autographs etc. and four or five cars that ran on the strip turned up.

First real sun for the season, lots of sunburn :oops:  :oops:
:twisted:  :twisted: The Older I Get The Faster I Was :twisted:  :twisted: