Old cars on the AZ roads

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 23, 2004, 11:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I traveled to pick up a tractor to move lots of dirt in my back yard.  I want to finish the back yard  landscape this year.

While out I spotted these old cars cruisin along Elliot road in Gilbert AZ.

It was a good day for cruising  here in AZ..... and i am on a tractor.  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Gilmore Car Museum is about 15 miles from me.  It is located on 90 acres with 8 big old barns full of all sorts of vintage cars.  The buildings and grounds are in the country and open to groups to host different events throughout the year.  Some of the events are popular destinations for all kinds of different vintage car clubs to drive their cars to.  Quite often in the summer we will see a group of them putting along the back roads.  I was there about 8 years ago and a "brass era" group from south of Chicago (over 200 miles away) had driven their old pre-1915 cars all the way.  They were all dressed the way they would have been back then.....men with their motoring clothes, hats, goggles, long coats  and women in similar clothes.  When they arrived the women changed into their dresses and hats (from the day) and they spread out blankets and had a picnic there on the grass next to their cars, in spite of the fact that there are food vendors there.  

I was extremely impressed with the people and their cars.  The trip took them 3 full days each way and they didn't have a chase vehicle.  I don't remember all the names of the cars but  there was a Stutz Bearcat, a Pierce Arrow Touring, a Locomobile Touring, a Maxwell.....  

They were all open cars and most of the mechanical parts were exposed and required oiling and maintenance along the way.  I wish I could find the pictures I took.  I know how I felt checking out those people and their cars....I can only guess what it must have felt like to do a trip like that.  Talk about hardcore traditionalists....
George

alchevy

http://www.vicksburgcruisers.com/pre1920.htm
This link will take you to a page of pictures I took back in May of this year when a group of pre-1920 cars came through Vicksburg, MS.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Anonymous

Quote from: "Crosley"I traveled to pick up a tractor to move lots of dirt in my back yard.  I want to finish the back yard  landscape this year.

While out I spotted these old cars cruisin along Elliot road in Gilbert AZ.

It was a good day for cruising  here in AZ..... and i am on a tractor.  :shock:

There were lots of cool old cars on the AZ roads this weekend.  The Relics and Rods of Lake Havasu Ctiy put on their annual Run to the Sun.  Really neat cars.