Need more lift!

Started by 48ford, November 05, 2004, 09:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

please help,
I realy don't want to change the 46 ,over to IFS,but she bottoms out bad,I have a posies reversed eye spring and it is flat,no arch at all.the spring is new as are the monroe shocks.am I asking to much out of air shocks,or should i try a coil over?I just got somthing wrong,the car has a small block that can't weigh more than the flatty.
I have a chassis kit in the rear thats new alsoand the thing rides like a hobby horse.
what do you think is wrong,
Thanks Russ

enjenjo

Russ, I have used Posie's springs in the past with no problems. Are you using Posie's springs on both ends? You have the right shocks? Axle bumpers in good shape? You might call them, and see if they have any input. They have worked with me in the past to solve problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

A few old-time suggestions. You could put spacers between the front spring and crossmember and if you only go a little at a time you might get it to the point where it doesn't hit  and maybe you won't have too much trouble with alignment (more spacers= less caster). Is it hitting on the chassis bumpers? Some of them can be really high. Maybe you can replace them with shorter ones or remove them all together and replace them with some installed where the chassis hits. On the back endif the chassis kit you used has multiple leaf springs you could re-design the spring pack around your main leaf depending on what you need. I think it falls in the realm to have to fine tune the suspension springs because there are so many variables and they can only be designed to fall somewhere in the middle. Make sure it is not the length of your shocks on compression that is your problem. If your shocks are bottoming out you'll tear off the mounts. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "48ford"please help,
I realy don't want to change the 46 ,over to IFS,but she bottoms out bad,I have a posies reversed eye spring and it is flat,no arch at all.the spring is new as are the monroe shocks.am I asking to much out of air shocks,or should i try a coil over?I just got somthing wrong,the car has a small block that can't weigh more than the flatty.
I have a chassis kit in the rear thats new alsoand the thing rides like a hobby horse.
what do you think is wrong,
Thanks Russ

That thing should ride good front and rear? Ive used posies and it worked great. Parallel leaf by CE rode pretty good in my 34 but I did take the tuner leaf out.
Dave

kb426

How much travel do you have? If you end up with 2" , there may not be room for improvement.
TEAM SMART

48ford

No Prize for stupid!
Sorry to bother everyone,but Irene found it(hate when that happens),I have to move the shocks,one hits,I was bouncing it, for all i was worth,and she found it,by looking,I'm going to build new upper brachets,get longer shocks and get them to move more up& down rather than tilting in so far.
Hope this takes care of it,now i can see how it was hitting,DUH!
Russ&Irene

Dave

Quote from: "48ford"No Prize for stupid!
Sorry to bother everyone,but Irene found it(hate when that happens),I have to move the shocks,one hits,I was bouncing it, for all i was worth,and she found it,by looking,I'm going to build new upper brachets,get longer shocks and get them to move more up& down rather than tilting in so far.
Hope this takes care of it,now i can see how it was hitting,DUH!
Russ&Irene

Im glad im not 55 yet. That must be the problem your brain is going to H_E_L_L cause of your age. I think thats what happened to slocrow too but his is too far gone to repair. You might be able to get help if you act soon :lol:
Really though im glad you found the problem, Ill bet your not the first to do something like that  :?:
Dave