power brake booster???

Started by Ed ke6bnl, October 21, 2004, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

Ok you all help me to confirm that the booster vacuum canister is defective on my Ford F1 1950 pu under the floor mounted unit.  I test it with a vacuum pump and it does not pull a vacuum let alone hold a vacuum. I checked the tubing and check valve they test ok. I bought this new with the master cyl. but it has never worked and it was over a year and a half since I installed it to find out it was defective.  This is one of those 7" units.  What I would like to know if there is a vehicle make and year and engine that I could use to go to my local AutoZone or Kragen and ask for a replacement and then get one with a life time warranty and probably cheaper then I paid for the pair.  The place I got it from are not around to ask about it for a while they are out to some car shows.   Thanks for your help Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

2buck

I have a 7" booster that came from a Mercury Capri. It looks identical to one on the Mustange 2.
I bought a new unit at a swap meet intending to use it rather than have the junker rebuilt.
When I looked at the linkage attachment it was slightly different. Since I had already engineered my parts I had to have the junker rebuilt rather than overhaul my components.
I live in the Atlanta, GA area & there is a place that fixed my unit. I would take what you have & have it overhauled. That way you will not have any suprises with a different booster.
I can give you their address if you want to ship it to them. They have been doing this work for 25 years or more. :D

MrMopar64

Power Unit in L A also rebuilds them....... Not sure of there address any more they used to be on Ramona in El Monte. I've had a few done by them but not for along time

Also Napa will send them out for you....... at least the one by me will.. not sure if they all do

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

HOTRODSRJ

Am I right to say that because you have had this a year and a half that you have never tried the unit in real conditions??  Is this truck still under construction? Do you know what your motor will make in vacuum?

The reason I ask is because a 7" booster often provides poor "boosting" performances for rodding uses.  The reason is that most motor selections that we make often have less than 18" of vacuum!  If you think that your motor won't make that.........save your money until you can figure this important element out because you might find that you need a dual diaphram 7" or 8" unit to be able to get your brakes where you want.  I use only duals on all my applications or bigger than 9" otherwise I get a very "hard" pedal performance.

Also, while AZ and others offers lifetime warranties on parts, I and many of my friends quit buying their junk.....tired of replacing it and certainly want the reliability issues.  As an automotive aftermarket consultant I know what all of these outlets use for suppliers and I know too much.  I would either get the good stuff at NAPA (an industrial/commercial fleet and retail parts supplier) or think about a unit from Master Power Brakes or equiv, albeit more expensive.

Just some suggestions.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

phat rat

I'd recommend NAPA or a junkyard but NEVER Master Power Brake. Tried using their dual 8" only too have them insist that it had to be 18" of vacumn to work, plus the first one was bad out of the box. Junked their piece of crap and used one from an Astro van and haven't had any problem since
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "HOTRODSRJ"Am I right to say that because you have had this a year and a half that you have never tried the unit in real conditions??  Is this truck still under construction? Do you know what your motor will make in vacuum?

The reason I ask is because a 7" booster often provides poor "boosting" performances for rodding uses.  The reason is that most motor selections that we make often have less than 18" of vacuum!  If you think that your motor won't make that.........save your money until you can figure this important element out because you might find that you need a dual diaphram 7" or 8" unit to be able to get your brakes where you want.  I use only duals on all my applications or bigger than 9" otherwise I get a very "hard" pedal performance.

Also, while AZ and others offers lifetime warranties on parts, I and many of my friends quit buying their junk.....tired of replacing it and certainly want the reliability issues.  As an automotive aftermarket consultant I know what all of these outlets use for suppliers and I know too much.  I would either get the good stuff at NAPA (an industrial/commercial fleet and retail parts supplier) or think about a unit from Master Power Brakes or equiv, albeit more expensive.

Just some suggestions.

I did try the unit on a seperate vacuum pump at 30in of vacuum with it not pumping down and therefore not holding a vacuum.  I will try to search out a rebuilder in the area and so far no luck may want to get the information on the rebuilders.  Napa did say they may be able to have it rebuilt to bring it in and go from there.  Thanks for the help  Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,