World Finals B'ville Records and stuff...

Started by 1FATGMC, October 17, 2004, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I certainly came close to heading up to the salt the other day.  The weather was probably the best it has ever been for Oct. with highs around 70 and low's in the 40's and sunny, sunny, sunny.  Thurs. I told Julie we should drive up Friday watch the racing on Saturday and come home on Sunday.  She wasn't up to it, but told me to go, but I got lazy and didn't go.  Wish I would have.

Tom Burkland driving the #411 Burkland's Streamliner AA/BFS upped the 413.156 record run of Nolan White to 417.020.  This is the new top speed record for a piston driven motored vehicle.  His exit speed at the end of the 5 mile on one run was 436.161!!!!!  This car ran an exit speed of 450.225 in 2000 (see time slip above from 2000), but the car was heavily damaged when the chutes screwed up and it ran off into the mud about the 8 mile mark.  They have spend the past couple years fixing it.  This is an awsome achivement.

WZJUNK, your Springfield buddy Hart set a record of 213.972  with his AA/CBGALT  Stude.  Looks to me like he already held the record in that class with a 206.539 set in 2003.

Another amazing record to me is the run by the Nebulous Theorem 4 which is a streamlined motorcyle that is only 100 cc's and runs "fuel".  Can you belive a 141.213 mph record for Andy Sills.  That is 100 cc's  or 6.1 cu. inches of total displacement!!  Back in '56 NSU came over and set a bunch of records with really small displacement motorcyles in a maximum "factory" effort.  They still hold records for 50 cc = 121.70; 100 cc = 138.00; and 125 cc 150.00.   All of those record were set with motors that were blown and on "fuel".   Until Andy's run they held the top speed with a 100 cc motor.  Now he has gone faster than that and his motor is not blown.

While I'm talking about motorcycles, since 1990 D. Campos with the "Easy Rider" Harly has held the top speed for a streamlined motorcycle at 322.149 in the 3000 cc class.  This August at Speedweek the S-BF EZ Hook / Wheeler Kawasaki ran 332.410 in the 1350 cc class to eclipse that record.  Saturday the twin 'Busa streamliner motorcycle also ran faster than the old 322 mp time. The #899B Ack Attack 3000CC S-BG motorcycle streamline driven by Jim Odom ran 328.304.  I predict even higher speeds next year by the EZ Hook bike and the Ack Attack and Campos has mentioned before that he would be back with a Harly if his record was broken.  Should be interesting next year.

One last item, the #44 DRM Racing A/BFL lakester driven by Fred Dannenfelzer ran 355.109 to become the fastest open wheel car ever.

Like I said I sure regret not making the trip to the salt.

c ya, Sum

sirstude

Sum,

Thanks for the info on Burklands,  Knew they could do it.  When we were down there in August, Tom had the car in Orem, but I guess he did not like the layout of the course then.  

For those of you who don't know the Burklands, they have been putting that car together for the last 20 years or so.  Powered by 2 Donovan Hemi's nose to nose, one runs backwards.  4 wheel drive, and Gene, Tom's dad, did the tire testing for Mickey Thompson when they came out with what are the current LSR tires.  Gene lives about 90 miles north of me in Sun River Montana.  This is one of the low dollar operations out there, not funded like the So Cal stuff.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"Sum,

Thanks for the info on Burklands,  Knew they could do it.  When we were down there in August, Tom had the car in Orem, but I guess he did not like the layout of the course then.  

For those of you who don't know the Burklands, they have been putting that car together for the last 20 years or so.  Powered by 2 Donovan Hemi's nose to nose, one runs backwards.  4 wheel drive, and Gene, Tom's dad, did the tire testing for Mickey Thompson when they came out with what are the current LSR tires.  Gene lives about 90 miles north of me in Sun River Montana.  This is one of the low dollar operations out there, not funded like the So Cal stuff.

Doug

That is one of the best engineered cars there.  I've only seen it run maybe 6 times.  They are very picky about conditions before making a run.  Of course at those speeds you have to be.

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

Shoot, with a report like that I'm sure a few of us wish we were there.  I know I do.  Thanks for including the history to your comments and the info.  It makes LSR much more interesting to those of us that don't know all that background stuff.  

From now on I bet you'll go with your gut instinct and hit the road if conditions are that good for the World Finals in the future.  It isn't that far away from you and life is short.

Oh well, Murf and I put a new sink and countertop in the cabin this weekend and the fall colors were vividly outstanding.
George

sirstude

George,

Don't rub it in.  Snowed this morning, and that wipes out the last of the leaves,  Empty trees until April.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude"George,

Don't rub it in.  Snowed this morning, and that wipes out the last of the leaves,  Empty trees until April.

Doug
It snowed 1 1/2 inches Saturday night at the cabin too.  It was pretty but I'd have rather been on the salt. :?
George

OlBuzzard

You guys are trying to make me jealous of the colors!  Didn't work, I like green.  It's supposed to get up near 90 today, though.  We do have some maples only about 100 miles from my house, and they sure are pretty when they turn.

WZ JUNK

I took the "Super Stude" to two car shows this weekend and it was perfect weather.  It is mid 80's here today.  Larry and I are taking the car back to Hooley tonight and he is barbecuing our supper for us.  We will bench race a little before we come home.  Hooley drag raced at a major event this weekend but he said he got eliminated in the fourth round.  I know winter is on the way but it does not seem like it today.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Good report Sum, I always enjoy your comments.

Winter hasn't fully arrived yet in southern MI, but I sold at the race car swap meet in Ionia, MI yesterday and it only got up to 41F. Glad I had the trailer cocked into the wind for some shelter. Did pretty good considering that I had the only hot rod "stuff" there.

Put the '40 away Saturday - on storage for the winter.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

sirstude

Sum,

There was an article in the Great Falls paper yesterday on Tom Burklands run.  They said they were glad nothing broke.  The plan has always been to turn about 5000 rpm and with all the tire slippage (said the track was really dry) they turned 8500rpm and didn't hurt anything.  Tom said that works out to 619mph.  Gene has always said the design was 500mph at 5500 rpm, so now that the motors pull harder than thought, just how fast can it go?

Tom said they will be back next year to go faster.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us