700 r design question

Started by WZ JUNK, August 31, 2024, 08:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am designing and building a new project this winter that will use a 700 r transmission in an unusual application.  It will stand alone and not be directly attached to an engine.  Although I have replaced many transmissions, I know nothing about the internal parts and how they work. I need to know how the snout of the torque converter is supported in the transmission.  Is there a bearing that it runs in or is it simply supported by its attachment to the flex plate on one end and the dogs of the converter to the pump on the other.   I suspect there has to be some kind of bearing to absorb the load and center the converter. I intend to have something like a motor plate on the front of the transmission bell housing area that will hold a flange bearing for the connecting shaft to the engine and I need to know how much I can rely on the support of the snout on the torque converter. 

I intend to purchase a core transmission to disassemble and have a look inside, but I thought I would ask here for your thoughts on what I intend to do.  I plan to make a mandrel that will go through my core transmission so that it locates exact dead center of center of the transmission drive.  I will use this mandrel to locate the flange bearing on the motor plate precisely.

As always, I appreciate any thoughts, information, or ideas you may have.  I will post more information on this project once it gets underway and I determine that it can be done.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

chimp koose

I believe the converter snout rides in a bushing . the front rides in the pilot hole in the crank and the snout runs through a bushing . That's what I had in my power glides anyways.

Crosley.In.AZ

Converter pilot hub slips into the crankshaft end...

Converter drive hub rides on a bushing inside the pump.

Inside the converter the stator is held by fixed splines that are part of the pump assembly.

The input shaft splines into the turbine inside the converter.

Several items hold parts in place with torrington bearings between each other, or thrust washers and bushings guide pieces  in place too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Thanks guys.  I was counting on Tony adding his information.  I think the answer is, I need to be precise in my measurements and my setup. We will see how this plays out.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH