Stop leak

Started by WZ JUNK, October 13, 2004, 10:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I have a car that has either a cracked head or a blown head gasket and it is leaking combustion into the water side.  It is not economically feasible to repair it correctly.  Before I junk it, I thought I would try some stop leak.  I have used these products before to temporally stop a radiator or heater leak but I have not tried it on this problem.  What product do you suggest?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Two things that I have found that work.

Moroso Ceramic seal,  Expensive about $20, but I have used it in a diesel engine with a cracked head, and it lasted for about 10,000 miles before leaking again, and another dose took it another 10,000 miles. Follow the directions to the letter.

Alumaseal, this is good for small leaks, dump it in and drive it. Cheap too. Down side, it can plug heater cores, and it doesn't work good on compression leaks.

I haven't found anything that works on a blown head gasket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I've used both Alumiseal powder and Barr's stop leak pellets with good results....sometimes.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tom

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I've used both Alumiseal powder and Barr's stop leak pellets with good results....sometimes.

i once had a big block chev freeze and crack. went to the drug store and bought some waterglass. had to change the oil a few times and keep it running. it eventually quit leaking, drove it for a year and sold it. the new owner drove it for over year and sold it. it was never a problem in those 2 1/2 years. in fact the guy i sold to said it was one of the best used cars he ever had.

58 Yeoman

waterglass?  Never heard of it; is that the product name or type of product?

Phil

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"waterglass?  Never heard of it; is that the product name or type of product?

Waterglass is Sodium Silicate.  Used in the day to preserve eggs.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

SKR8PN

Sodium Silicate works real well,but you need to get as much coolant OUT of the engine as possible first. I'd try that first if it was me...............
But I have also had very good luck with the block sealers,SPECIALLY on aluminum cylinder heads that have been repaired(welded).
I have never had Aluma-Seal plug a heater core..........And I have used it a lot to stop SMALL leaks.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Sodium Silicate works real well,but you need to get as much coolant OUT of the engine as possible first. I'd try that first if it was me...............
But I have also had very good luck with the block sealers,SPECIALLY on aluminum cylinder heads that have been repaired(welded).
I have never had Aluma-Seal plug a heater core..........And I have used it a lot to stop SMALL leaks.

It is a 4 cylinder Chrysler engine ( Dodge Daytona).  How much Sodium Silicate should I use?  I can drain and flush the coolant from the system before I try it but I do not know how much to use.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Thanks for the tips on waterglass, guys. :lol:

Phil

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"waterglass?  Never heard of it; is that the product name or type of product?

Waterglass is Sodium Silicate.  Used in the day to preserve eggs.

Just last week OBT said, "Boy, I wish someone would ask what waterglass is"...and here it is. I'm always amazed at the little bits and pieces of knowledge we have stored away.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

SKR8PN

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "SKR8PN"Sodium Silicate works real well,but you need to get as much coolant OUT of the engine as possible first. I'd try that first if it was me...............

It is a 4 cylinder Chrysler engine ( Dodge Daytona).  How much Sodium Silicate should I use?  I can drain and flush the coolant from the system before I try it but I do not know how much to use.

WZ...Them is EASY head gaskets to change! I do them in about an hour,start to finish! Bring that thing to Ohio and I will do it for you if you buy the parts and the beer...............
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.