Howdy All, Time to Decide on the Drive Train for the Rambler

Started by Gambler, October 07, 2004, 12:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambler

Quote from: "GPster"Why don't you think about a 302 Ford V8 with the distributor in the frony? some times things get tight in a small 6 engine compartment  and it might be a shade narrower than the Chevy. I can't tell from the picture how big the crossmember is as the most common oil pan for the Ford has the sump in the front but there are ways around it. Not knowing about the Studebaker transmission but it may have a Ford bolt pattern. What happened to that Camaro you where going to strip?  It's hard to pass up free but  Maveric or Granada might give you a lot of good parts. GPster

I know Ford engines are good, but I'm just not a fan. And they are just more expensive to mantain/build up than Chevy.  I know rat motors are ho hum, but its good cheap power, and easy to work on.  Plus I have one for free..hehe

Not sure about the Saginaw. I was told that I'd need a bellhousing that would bolt up to it (that was with the idea of keeping it standard shift).  But its a big little wagon, the more I think about it, the more I'd like an auto, perhaps spring for a good torque converter.

The camaro is outside behind the Rambler. After looking at the rearend in it, vs the one I got from the 65, it looks reallly lightweight and flimsy. (and I already sank close to $400 into the 65 rearend, full brake rebuild, drums, and buying it).  I removed the wheels and all the bolts and wiring I could, and thinking of taking the front discs out, but I dont know what I could do with em. May still take the rearend, there isnt anything really keeping it in there (just shocks and 2 bolts..the driveshaft is long gone, with the engine and tranny. Dont know if it was a V8)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Gambler"I don't want to use the GM column..because I think they are buttugly :D And since I dont have power steering, I think I need the larger wheel just to turn the thing..I steered it once when slingshotting it onto a concrete being towed by my Jeep truck, and even then it was hard to steer.

And I don't have the bux for an Ididit :(

you still have my email? magikman74@yahoo.com.  If you want that engine this winter, tell me, that'll be all the motivation I need to get started on this things (haha)

Yeah, there's no aftermarket stuff for this car, as you know better than me.  That's why I want to go to a chevy driveline.

I think you will find the 78 Van column is nearly identical to an Ididit column in shape, it's not at all like the ones in cars.

I certainly hope your Rambler will handle a 350 SBC, mine has a 454 BBC in it, and has for 14 years with no ill effects.There is plenty of room lengthwise for a V8 Chevy, even if it doesn't look like it. You will have to relocate the sway bar to the front side of the suspension for pan clearance, otherwise everything fits.

On the front brakes, the entire spindle and brake assembly from a Hornet, Concord, Matador, or Ambassador will bolt on to your front suspension upright, anything but a Metropolitan, from 1950 untill the end of production in 1983. Ao the later discs will bolt on.

I'd like to see a picture of the front of the trans. If you have a studebaker trans, and it's a V8 trans, it's a warner T85 which is almost identical to the ones used by Ford. If you can find a 1965 Studebaker Bell housing, it will bolt up to the 350, in 65 Stude used Chevy engines. If you can't, Lakewood makes a bell housing/scattershield, that is drilled for a Ford pattern T85. If it's a six trans, it's a warner T89, and won't hold up behind a V8, I used to blow them regular with a stock six. There is a remote possibility that stude used a Muncie trans in 65, but if so, it would have the standard GM bolt pattern, and fit most any chevy bell housing
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Gambler

>I think you will find the 78 Van column is nearly identical to an Ididit column in shape, it's not at all like the ones in cars.

In shape it looks the same, but the Ididit is all pretty chrome, the van one is some crappy burgandy..I guess it could be repainted/dyed. How hard would that be to incorporate into the Rambler?

>I certainly hope your Rambler will handle a 350 SBC, mine has a 454
wow, you never mentioned that before! Would like to see some pics.

>On the front brakes, the entire spindle and brake .

right, I have been looking with little luck in the local yards..but there are plenty of AMC Eagles still onthe road out here..I eye them like a vulture :D

I'd like to see a picture of the front of the trans.

Wish granted..but what is this?  Looks like T86E-IT   W O DIV
I saw the car it came out of, a mid 60s Hawk I think, or something similar.

edit: I did a google search on t86E and found this page cached:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:7HzRIiRu1pwJ:home.att.net/~dcatsdesigns/51BzeCpe/Specs.htm+T86E&hl=en

so perhaps this 3-spd could handle a V8? I would just need the correct bellhousing and clutch assembly?  The shifter arms on mine are on the same side as the old rambler tranny, so the cables/linkage should fit.  

Not sure if I want to use it in the final project, but perhaps I could sell it. I paid a little under a $100 for it.

Crosley.In.AZ

heck , I thoguht IDIDIT copied the early GM van column for the design.

Some friends of mine build a real slick column .  I beleive Glen has posted photos of these custom columns in the past here on the RRT.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"heck , I thoguht IDIDIT copied the early GM van column for the design.

Some friends of mine build a real slick column .  I beleive Glen has posted photos of these custom columns in the past here on the RRT.

Clik on the link below for an engine package deal

engine deal
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Gambler

that's not a bad deal for the package I guess, but I think I want to work with what I have..

lol..still laughing at your tag line over that, *. hahahhaha

Gambler

I went back over and looked at the steering column, and you know, its not bad. Its black, there's no junk on it like a display for what gear its in, just a metal column with a chrome lever on it for shifting. I may go ahead and use it, if need be.  When the time comes, I'll ask about where to disconnect it. :D

GPster

Also if you decide you need a bigger wheel for leverage you find it easier to find an adapter to replace a steering wheel on a Chevy van than on a Rambler station wagon. Does the van have the ignition switch key on the column or on the dash? It might be easier if the van column does not have the locking mechanism and key but that can be a later deal. It would be easier to remove that extra stuff if you get the key for ir. GPster

Gambler

Quote from: "GPster"Also if you decide you need a bigger wheel for leverage you find it easier to find an adapter to replace a steering wheel on a Chevy van than on a Rambler station wagon. Does the van have the ignition switch key on the column or on the dash? It might be easier if the van column does not have the locking mechanism and key but that can be a later deal. It would be easier to remove that extra stuff if you get the key for ir. GPster

It's on the dash in the van :) Yeah, after looking at it, it's perfect actually.

It's a shame to cut up a running van, (lol) but its been in the family for 20 years, and they just dont want to look at it anymore, so I get to chop it up for parts. *pets his sawzall*