Something bizarre happening...

Started by rumrumm, September 21, 2021, 12:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

I have an electrical issue. I'm driving my coupe and everything is normal. The voltmeter reads around 14. Then, all of a sudden, I hear a click, and my voltmeter starts jumping from 11.5 to 17 to 13.5 to 14.8. All over the place. Nothing like the fuel injection, the distributor, the A/C or the other electronic components appear to be affected by this. I have Dakota Digital gauges, and I called them and they said nothing in their system would cause a click and cause the voltmeter to go crazy. I replaced the old battery with a new Optima red top unit and I changed out the alternator with another that I had. The problem is still there. Any ideas?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

34ford

A clicking sound like a relay. Just a thought.

kb426

My guess is that there is a strong load that is brief that is causing the charging system to start filling the load and then overcharging as the load disappears. The only other click besides a relay that comes to mind is a circuit breaker. Last on the list is a broken or bare wire that makes contact  briefly or a ground that is doing something similar. You might try removing fuses as a method to isolate  which circuit is at fault. Is it possible to disconnect the alternator and drive the car some and see if the issue continues? 
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I think start by getting the battery and alternator load tested. Maybe your battery is starting to short out internally or your voltage regulator is going bad.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)