How am I going to do that?

Started by jaybee, October 04, 2004, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Oh no, one of my cars got sideswiped!  Some dimbulb in an Astro panel van merged over on me so hard I didn't have time to do much but hit the horn and the brake before he got me...then claimed I merged into HIS lane when his van stopped in my lane...cop didn't buy it for a minute.

Anyway, just for practice I'd like to fix the front fender rather than replace it.  I looked it over carefully tonight and found it not damaged too badly.  The wheel arch isn't even flattened enough to interfere with the tire and no crisp detail lines were touched.  The steel isn't torn anywhere and there are no particularly deep gouges...the overall contour is just a little more flat in the vertical and more wavy along the length of the wheel lip.  It had a barely visible, easy break about 2" from the wheel lip that needs to be put back, though.  How am I going to do that?  You may or may not remember that I've been all through the mechanicals of my cars but have only done a small amount of bodywork.

My thought is to make cardboard templates on the opposite fender and use them as guides.  Sound like a plan?  If it doesn't work I'll break down and get a fender, but I'd like to play around with this first.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

MrMopar64

Quote from: "jaybee"

My thought is to make cardboard templates on the opposite fender and use them as guides.  Sound like a plan?  If it doesn't work I'll break down and get a fender, but I'd like to play around with this first.

You can buy a contour gage from Harbor Fright or Eastwood then you just push it up aginst the good side and it will give you the perfect copy of all the angles  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

jaybee

Quote from: "MrMopar64"
Quote from: "jaybee"

You can buy a contour gage from Harbor Fright or Eastwood then you just push it up aginst the good side and it will give you the perfect copy of all the angles  :wink:

MM64  8)

Great idea, thanks.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)