Spray paint wood kitchen cabinets

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 15, 2020, 11:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have been asked to help with kitchen cabinet painting. They are wood, unpainted.  Varnish type finish. I know they need to be sanded, cleaned , yada yada.

Are the electric home improvement store sprayers workable?  Never used one.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"I have been asked to help with kitchen cabinet painting. They are wood, unpainted.  Varnish type finish. I know they need to be sanded, cleaned , yada yada.

Are the electric home improvement store sprayers workable?  Never used one.

I have used one to paint louver type shutters, railings, decks, etc., I see no reason it shouldn't work. Just practice on some scrap stuff, I found it easy to apply way too much paint with them.

Bruce Dorsi

Check with a paint store for a good primer/sealer.  ...There are some that will even stick to glazed ceramic tile.  ....For kitchen cabinets, good adhesion is mandatory.

There is a paint additive called Floetrol and should be used if you are going to spray.  ....Even if you brush, Floetrol helps brush marks to flow-out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

kb426

There is a chemical I used years ago that softens the original paint so the new would stick without much work. I had good results with it. It was a lumber yard product. My exp. with those sprayers has been more work to use and clean up that some of the other methods. The 1st one I used lasted long enough to paint the inside of a small house. :) If you take the doors and drawers outside and spray them and use a brush or mat for the frames, it wouldn't be too much work or mess.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Thanks..  I am trying to talk the family members out of this.  I have explained the prep work is 85 to 90% of the job to get stuff clean.  Doors have to come off, label them to install in same place.

They seem to think you walk in the kitchen, Wipe the cabinets down,  spray the cabinets, then walk away. LOL ..  It is a serious job , even on this small kitchen.  Or have the paint fall off soon.
Tony

kb426

One of my former secretaries, sanded off the varnish, down through the stain and applied some pickeling finish. She was not lazy. :) She was very conservative with her money, though. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I have an electric sprayer...works pretty well but I'll second the notion they take a fair chunk of effort to clean.

I've seen kitchens where someone has just painted everything...looks like crap, obviously.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Canuck

Friend of mine was given a electric sprayer by his In-laws, a lower cost one.  He found it did not work very good, but they were sure it would be great.  Exchanged it for a good one.

Painted a station wagon with it in his garage a metallic cinnamon colour and it turned out very good.  Had to paint one panel at a time, masking off the rest of the car.

Don't know if he ever used it again.

He was a very highly competent body man and painter.  Did a few cars for me over the years with beautiful results.  Used a conventional air spray gun on them.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

39deluxe

My wife bought an airless sprayer years ago thinking we could use it to spray the stain on our cedar siding. The stain had a lot of heavy pigment in it and it clogged up. Years later when I built my shop I sprayed the primer on the drywall and the semi gloss color with it. It did a fantastic job. It was a bigger one with a paint pot on the floor with the pump so you only carry the gun and hose. I would not be afraid to spray cabinets or even poly on furniture with it.

Tom

Crosley.In.AZ

Currently my sister in law is on a path of new kitchen  cabinets... I hear comments near every time I am there working on the house.

My brother asks me if I thought he could install the new cabinets from Cabinets to Go company , because a neighbor said ( yea I know) ...  the new cabinets are like assembling Ikea furniture..  simple , easy peasy.

I told my brother: you have never done that type work in your life. You are 73 yr old with nerve damaged legs and feet.  I said: you may get the cabinets assembled while on the floor, how are you going to install them on the walls, level them, attached to each other cabinet smooth and even?

At this point: it looks like he listened to me.  I have my doubts tho
Tony

chimp koose

My wife paid for our cabinets to be installed as a gift to me . After seeing the process and the special fixtures to level and hold them in place during installation all I can say is , money well spent!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"My wife paid for our cabinets to be installed as a gift to me . After seeing the process and the special fixtures to level and hold them in place during installation all I can say is , money well spent!

I agree...

My wife and I installed new cabinets in a kitchen in early 1990's ...  Cabinets we bought were the same manufacturer. We measured each cabinet, sized them up..  install went mostly smooth.   I had a counter top guy come in , measure , cut , install basic laminate stuff.  It looked good, altho the guy cut the hole for the sink off a bit. I still remember that argument .

Stainless top mount sink. I installed a few layers of sound deadening  material on the sink underside.  Sure quieted down the noise.  

Wife was very happpy.  Lots of work for a DIY person.  Youtube was not the big game then to watch and learn a few tips.
Tony

crdnblu

I second adding sound deadener to a stainless steel sink; big difference in taking the "ring" out of the stainless.  Installed a new double stainless sink last year with deadener from the factory, only on the bottom, but nowhere else. I added Dynamat Extreme to all the sides, including the center divider section; sounds almost like a cast-iron porcelain sink.  Well worth the effort.....

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "crdnblu"I second adding sound deadener to a stainless steel sink; big difference in taking the "ring" out of the stainless.  Installed a new double stainless sink last year with deadener from the factory, only on the bottom, but nowhere else. I added Dynamat Extreme to all the sides, including the center divider section; sounds almost like a cast-iron porcelain sink.  Well worth the effort.....

Yes sir..  I did the same to my sink.  Amazing difference in the sound level with garbage disposal running.
Tony