Help with brake pedal bell crank

Started by 348tripower, May 24, 2021, 08:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

So I haven't been hiding. I have been awfully busy with the wife care, her therapy and yard work. I have  problem that I need smart people to help me solve. I lengthened the brake pedal for the Divco and have not been able to get the stroke I need before It bottoms out on the floor. I have, as I have calculated, a 4.77:1 ratio which should be acceptable. I am only moving the push rod about 3/4 to 7/8 of a inch. The master cylinder has 1 3/4 depth. So I don't have enough braking force. I am thinking a bell crank to fix the problem. I just can't get my brain wrapped around how to keep a good ratio and get more throw. Will it work?
Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

Interesting.

As I see it, to get more movement by adding a bell crank,  it will change your overall ratio.  Seems to me you need more pedal travel by modifying pedal arm.  This is my first thoughts on this problem and I will ponder it some more.  :D
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Don, look at the pic on this website and see if you have enough room to make such an apparatus work. By lowering the push point from the pedal pivot, you will gain travel but loose ratio. I didn't take the time to do the calculations on the crank to see if you could gain ratio or not.
https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/bellcrank-classic-cars
TEAM SMART

348tripower

Looking like that is not what I need to do so I am taking another look at the whole system. For one I have a 1 1/8 bore master on this and the original Crown Vic was 1". I'm changing that first.
Don Colliau

kb426

Is it possible to reshape the brake pedal to allow for more travel?
TEAM SMART

416Ford

I was having a issue with the one in my 46 when I built it (Wait I have brake issues in all my builds). I ended up modifying the arm above the bend. I know yours is upper mounted so it seems like you could modify the pedal again or does the create leg distance issues?
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

348tripower

416Ford,
I ended up adding some length to the horizontal section of the pedal so it didn't hit the floor. That didn't help. I tried a 1" bore master cylinder, no help. Per the suggestion of a very smart person that posts here, I added residual pressure valves to the front and rear lines, (3 lines) and began to get brakes. I was not satisfied with the pedal travel so I went back to the 1 1/8 bore master cylinder that I started with. I now have brakes. I can't lock the wheels up but it really noses over when you get on them.
In my quest to solve this issue I got with Master Power Brakes tech people. I was told that no street rods will lock up the wheels.  :shock:
How about that?
I am going to look for something else to drive me closer to crazy today. :D
Don Colliau

kb426

I have one comment directed to Master Power: the 51 has hydroboost. Gm 12" rotors and big car calipers on the front. Mustang gt standard rotors and calipers on the rear. I can lock up all 4 at 70 mph so easy that it's amazing. I have never had anything with brakes this good. There is no abs. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

One other thought: the crown vic fronts are quick take up calipers. If you use the original master cylinder, pay attention as to which port goes to the front calipers.
TEAM SMART