E 85

Started by phat46, May 19, 2020, 08:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I have a nephew that runs a mud truck, he's running a blown 383 Chevy stroker motor, dynoed at 788 h.p. and 850 ft. lbs torque. He uses E 85 in it and says there's a huge power boost from it. My question, is this a sensible thing for a street motor? He says there are carbs specific for this or a carb can be adjusted for it, and EFI is an option. Does anyone here run it on the street or have any experience with it on street cars. I know the mileage is about 30% less, but we don't drive them for mileage...😬

kb426

Adapting late model flex fuel efi would be my choice. You would have the advantage of ethanol for performance usage and regular fuel when just tooling around. The biggest downside I see to this is the side effects of ethanol: corrosive and hygroscopic.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

There are several aftermarket  flex fuel modules that you can add to a EFI system.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

A relative on my wifes side has a Steeda Mustang, but I don't remember all the details about it, except he just spent a lot of money having the engine rebuilt. 500hp? I don't remember, but I do remember that he says he runs E85 in it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

My biggest concern would be fuel consistency as the ethanol pulls in moisture from the air . When running methanol in a bracket racing car we used to pump our drum of methanol into 5 gal jugs so we could limit water contamination. On the 2 car TAD , TA/FC team I worked on a barrel got emptied quick enough . A half full barrel is half full of air and the moisture it contains. From a good fuel perspective , it will handle a lot more compression as well as boost than pump gas . I imagine the EFI systems would have a way of altering A/F ratio and spark to adjust for inconsistency in the fuel . I just wonder about the fuel consistency vs water content when you get it from the pumps supplied by below ground storage containers . Just seems the power change with the condition of the fuel would be a bigger variable with the E85 .