vacuum secondaries not working

Started by WZ JUNK, May 17, 2020, 12:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I have a Holley 4160 750 cfm vacuum secondary carburetor.  The secondary is not working.  I have tried all of the optional springs.  I have verified that the linkage is not binding.  I replaced the diaphram that actuates the secondary and verified that it works.  I removed the tiny check ball.   The engine has plenty of vacuum.  I placed a zip tie on the actuator shaft of the diaphram to verify that there is not enough movement but there is some.

I have read technical stuff from Holley.  I have read on the net.  I have called Holley, I have watch youtlube videos.  I am stumped. :(
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

How about connecting your mity vac to the port and see if the diaphram retracts?
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Isnt there a gasket between the vacuum pod and the body of the carb ? Maybe its toast ?

WZ JUNK

A friend brought me a carburetor like mine today for us to compare.  I changed out his vacuum actuator.  It worked.  We compared the two.  His diaphragm had a softer feel.  I had used a replacement interchange non Holley from the local auto parts store.  I am ordering the correct Holley part now. He is going to let me use his until the mine arrives.  A good friend.  :D
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

TEAM SMART

chimp koose

stiffer diaphragm would act like a vacuum leak to the diaphragm . I had not even thought there would be a difference in stiffness , learned something today !