Restoring steering wheel

Started by DanO, September 15, 2004, 08:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanO

A friend gave me a 1950 F1 steering column with wheel to use in my rod. The steering wheel has several cracks in the rim that are about a quarter inch or so wide. What is the best material/method to use to fill these up and refinish the wheel? My friend said he has used Bondo many times with good results. Also, what kind of paint do you recommend? Some of you may have seen this post on the HAMB already.

Eastwood has a steering wheel repair kit that I have used that works real well,they have the paint also.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

I use PC7 epoxy to repair steering wheels.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

DanO

It looks like the PC7 from Eastwood is the way to go for filling the cracks. This may be a pretty basic question, but what is the best paint for a steering wheel?

ragdol

I but the PC7 at Ace hardware, it's cheaper with no postage. For paint, I usr base/clear.

tommy b

I agree. Ace Hardware is the place to buy PC-7. For a good description on how to do the job, pick up a copy of "Steering Wheel Restoration Handbook" by Jack Turpin. It covers all aspects of the operation.

tommy b

DanO

Thanks everyone for the info! Tommy B, I appreciate the tip about the restoration handbook.  :D

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "tommy b"I agree. Ace Hardware is the place to buy PC-7. For a good description on how to do the job, pick up a copy of "Steering Wheel Restoration Handbook" by Jack Turpin. It covers all aspects of the operation.

tommy b

My auto body instructor sugested that the same stuff used for plastic car bumpers work great for the steering w2heel after the crack is open up and cleaned. made my 3m and one brand is sold at autozone.  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,