ground clearance

Started by trackster, February 11, 2020, 07:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

In mocking up the exhaust for the '39 Chevy there is about 6 1/4 inches clearance below the x-pipe with the engine and trans in but without the body mounted.  Is this enough or will I drag it at times?  It has a M2 front suspension and is expected to settle about an inch in the front after a few miles.  Any thoughts?
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

kb426

I believe you will be all right. You can't jump curbs but most sloping drives will be accessable. I had a little over 4" in the middle of the 32 and it was fine. My wheelbase was some shorter. I was told by others that 4" was the safe number.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

My '26 track roadster pickup belly pan had about 4" clearance back near transmission. Nothing ever touched other then grass and weeds. 109" wheelbase.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

trackster

Thanks for all of the replies.   Gonna go with what I got.

bucketmouth

For us down here the lowest point can only be 4ins and most of the time that's under the spring perches which is a decent amount of clearance for the engine gearbox and exhaust.
I don't have any real trouble with any of my rods negotiating speed humps and the like.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

trackster

Thanks for the info. At this point I will have to get it on the road to see where I am. Thanks again.