Lokar Tranny dipstick question/opnions wanted

Started by Dirk35, September 29, 2004, 08:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Hi all, I really havent heard anything really good about them. Ive heard they leak around the tranny case. This is for a Ford C4 BTW.

Also, which do you perfer, firewall mount, or bell housing mount? I got a bell housing mount one, cause I am thinking....how often do I really actually check the tranny fluid??? Once a few months tops, right? So why mess putting more holes in the firewall?

Thanks.

Dave

Quote from: "Dirk35"Hi all, I really havent heard anything really good about them. Ive heard they leak around the tranny case. This is for a Ford C4 BTW.

Also, which do you perfer, firewall mount, or bell housing mount? I got a bell housing mount one, cause I am thinking....how often do I really actually check the tranny fluid??? Once a few months tops, right? So why mess putting more holes in the firewall?

Thanks.

Ive got the one for a turbo 350 firewall mount and i like it. I also put one on the model a i was working on. For the chevys you use silicone around the base and no leaks..I dunno how a hey thats a four letter word (ford) mounts...
Dave

slocrow

I agree with Dave. My 350 had the condom ring around the base and I did that to the 700. Neither has leaked. Both are firewall mounted dipsticks. Now reading the Locar is an entirely different problem. Locar says rough um up on the back side and friends suggest scuffing them with a scotch bright and/or notching the edge just past the fill line so fluid will hang and you can get a good read......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

2buck

The problem with Ford's C4 automatic is that the torque converter leaks down past the check valves in the front pump. When the engine hasn't been run for several days the fluid overfills the case & leaks anywhere it finds a path. I have had it come out of the top vent!
A buddy also has this problem & Lokar sent him a dip stick adapter that had two "O Rings" so it would better handle the problem.
Hope this helps.
Bucky :D

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "slocrow"Now reading the Locar is an entirely different problem. Locar says rough um up on the back side and friends suggest scuffing them with a scotch bright and/or notching the edge just past the fill line so fluid will hang and you can get a good read......Frank

These are good tips for making the dipstick easier to read.  I have a hard time seeing the fluid level and it often irritates me. (I thought I put that nicely)
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

John,

Are you taking diplomacy lessons now, or what?

I've used the Lokar and other tranny fill tube/dip sticks a couple times and haven't had any leakage problem without resorting to silicone. I think that part of the key is to use a little lube - like hand cleaner - to get the o-ring to seat without damage.

My 2 pennies worth.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Roadstar

I use them on most of the cars I build and don't have any problems. I usually use some silicone along with the o ring seal they come with.

On my  roadster I brought it over the trans and mounted on the drivers side so it would be on the same side as the oil. Whenever someone notices it they comment how I did that and why.

I just tell them ....."'Cause I can"

Actuall the three piece hood opens only one way on the car so it made sence to do it that way.

Crosley.In.AZ

Make sure the hole the filler tube / cable is going into is free of dirt, junk  and corrosion.

i use small dingle ball hones to clean out the holes
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dirk35

Anyone use a tranny mount one?

Reason I ask, is that the guys I know that used a firewall mount one say that with the engine vibrations-vs- it solid on the firewall, that is a contributor why they had the leaks.

The guy I know that use the tranny mount one say that its a pain in the rear to access the tranny mount one with the fenders of on older 30s vehicle.

rumrumm

I had a tranny mount one on my previous rod, and it was a bugger to check because I had outside the frame headers. I have header tatoos on my forearm and started wearing a sleeve to check the fluid. The car I am building now has one mounted on the firewall. If you mount it so there is plenty  of flex, I doubt if there would be a leak issue.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mikej

The hole is pretty small. Do you need a special funnel to fill the tranny?

rumrumm

I had to use a pump attached to a bottle of tranny fluid on the other rod. On the firewall installation, I think I can use a funnel.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Charlie Chops 1940

The ones I've used came with a small aluminun "adaptor" and a short piece of clear hose...my funnel fit into the hose - but it won't flow the fluid like an OE tube so just be careful. The ones I used were firewall mounts and instead of stretch it out as far as it would go I mounted it so that the hose had an ess shape. Seemed to work.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "2buck"The problem with Ford's C4 automatic is that the torque converter leaks down past the check valves in the front pump. When the engine hasn't been run for several days the fluid overfills the case & leaks anywhere it finds a path. I have had it come out of the top vent!
A buddy also has this problem & Lokar sent him a dip stick adapter that had two "O Rings" so it would better handle the problem.
Hope this helps.
Bucky :D

Turbo 350's and 400's leak down also.. Mine has been ok after the silicone and i used to use silicone on the stock style tubes to stop the leakage. Im not sure about the condoms on the tubes or the dingle berry treatment . Charlie is just lucky or he is pulling our chains about no leaks LOL... Yup roadstar you can >>>>......Oh ya mine came with the adapter and the tube and it worked fine but yup its a * to read and i used scotch brite on it for i even filled the trans and it still sucks..

Dave