Fuel in oil?

Started by 57larry, August 06, 2018, 08:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

I have a fresh rebuilt 350 chevy engine. this is the 2nd time my oil pressure dropped to 10 lbs and started to knock. I shut it down 1st time and changed oil & filter. Engine ran great with good oil pressure. driving to the Nats, oil pressure dropped again to 10-15 lbs, shut it downn, AAA tow to the house. Checked oil, fuel in it again, thin like water.

carb was tuned by a local drag racer friend and runs great

what's should I look for? thanks, Larry

UGLY OLDS

Bad diaphragm in the mechanical fuel pump   :?:  :?:    If it was a carb or tuning issue, it would have been impossible to keep the engine running to put that much fuel in the pan ....
Fuel pump is where I would start .....  :idea:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

57larry

anyway to check the fuel pump?

WZ JUNK

I am going with the bad fuel pump diaphragm also.  The fuel pump is a relatively cheap item and not hard to change.  I would go with an AC Delco GM replacement pump.

My 2 cents

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

57larry

thanks guys, I'm going with the fuel pump too

57larry

update: sat for a few months, changed fuel filter, added fresh oil & filter, started engine, oil pressure dropped again to 15 lbs with a knock. drained oil again, oil came out grey.

what's my next move on this fresh engine rebuild? thanks, Larry

chimp koose

years ago i used to have a little honda accord that i would start up and drive without warming up in the winter . I just pulled the choke out and started driving . Always a short distance so never had to open the choke as it was not warmed up before the end of the trip. One day the oil light comes on . Man the oil smelled like gas ! could it be that your choke is not fully coming off