Lug nut torque

Started by enjenjo, September 18, 2018, 07:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

What is the correct lug nut torque on a 7/16" lug bolt with steel wheels? I am not finding any information any place I can think of.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Correct torque is tight enough to not loosen, but not tight enough to strip the threads or shear the bolt.

I'm sure you already knew this, Frank !   :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

kb426

Everything I have seen has been 70 ft. lbs.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Correct torque is tight enough to not loosen, but not tight enough to strip the threads or shear the bolt.

I'm sure you already knew this, Frank !   :roll:

Gee, thanks. :roll:  You must be an engineer, your answer is technically correct, but completely useless. :D

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Everything I have seen has been 70 ft. lbs.

I have been told 100ftlb, I have been told 80ftlb, but your answer sounds more feasible to me.

enjenjo

I found this on a Dodge Dart site  "shop manual states 7/16"-20 55 ft-lbs and 1/2"-20 65 ft-lbs". Since the front rotors have Dodge Dart studs, I guess that should be close.

Arnold

"Newfy Torque"..Tighten it until it strips..then back it off half a turn.

Charlie Chops 1940

I've never seen anything that differentiates between wheel material so I use the same torque on steel or aluminum wheels. I have an old American Racing installation instruction sheet that shows the following torque recommendations:

7/16"  55-65 ft. lbs.
1/2"    75-85
9/16"   95-115
5/8"    125-150
10mm  45-55
12mm  70-80
14mm  85-95

Haven't ever had a wheel come off so I guess that I'm doing it right or have gotten lucky...
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Hooley uses a torque wrench on the lug nuts of the race cars.  I have never torqued the lug nuts on any of my own vehicles.  The one time I did torque wrench the lug nuts was on the Dodge truck that we were using to tow the Studebaker to the salt flats.  I checked the lugs before we left from home, and again before we left Wendover.  Midway across Nebraska the left rear wheel came off of the truck and we went for a ride I will not forget.  

Just passing along my experience with lug nuts.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH