Drag Racing

Started by enjenjo, July 25, 2018, 10:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I was talking to a drag racer buddy the other day. He has been the Super Pro division Champ two times, and has been to Pomona twice. He tells me there is only one track within a hundred miles that still runs quarter mile in the weekly show. All the others have switched to eighth mile except for national events.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Most classes at MOKAN are still 1/4 mile but they occasionally through in some variations.  I like the 1/4 mile.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

bucketmouth

1/8 mile drags is slowly creeping in here in Australia. Personally I don't care much for it. To me it's probably something you do at club events but main stream drag racing I think not.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I was talking to a drag racer buddy the other day. He has been the Super Pro division Champ two times, and has been to Pomona twice. He tells me there is only one track within a hundred miles that still runs quarter mile in the weekly show. All the others have switched to eighth mile except for national events.

Frank do they run 1/4 mile at Norwalk? I came through there yesterday (Sunday) about 5 p.m. and saw a lot of drag cars  on trailers in town.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I was talking to a drag racer buddy the other day. He has been the Super Pro division Champ two times, and has been to Pomona twice. He tells me there is only one track within a hundred miles that still runs quarter mile in the weekly show. All the others have switched to eighth mile except for national events.

Frank do they run 1/4 mile at Norwalk? I came through there yesterday (Sunday) about 5 p.m. and saw a lot of drag cars  on trailers in town.

1/8 for the weekly show.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rrumbler

I never figured out why they went to 1/8 mile.  When I quit and sold off my car and stuff everything was still 1/4 mile, that I know of.  I went on an got involved in work and kids and such, and never much paid attention to racing after that; had my 59 pickup, and one or another odd cars to mess with, but that was it. Would someone enlighten me.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

papastoyss

Here in the South there have always been more 1/8 mile tracks than 1/4 mile, probably due to the topography. The only 1/4 mile track still running in the area is Beech Bend in Bowling Green, Ky. & I believe they also run some 1/8 mile. One thing about 1/8 mile, you had better get it done on the starting line, no running 'em down on the big end.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!