Sealant Q

Started by Arnold, August 07, 2018, 10:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

A bit off topic..I need to seal a galvanized open (water tank). About 6'long 3' high 2' wide. The tank is 4 years old and was originally sealed at the seams with what looks like melted butyl rubber. There is no rust on it. My better half phoned the manufacturer and they INSTANTLY told her they could not help her and to call the retailer.  :roll: That kinda stuff tells me with antenna up that there is of course a problem. Of course the retailer does not have a clue..(but pretends to :roll: ).
 I need something that will stick to the rubber and to galvanized. I ask some people whom I am sure WILL KNOW..shouldda come here first :D  They have NO idea :shock:
 I tried some new aerosol rubber. Did not work. Tried Permatex Automotive Ultra Black..that stuff sticks and seals pretty much everything. Ditto.
 I just do not know what to try next? Now whatever I try has to stick to the galvanized,the original rubber,the spray on aerosol rubber and the Ultra Black.

Any help is greatly appreciated..as usual. The tank is used for water for  my better half's horses and is $500.

kb426

As a young kid on the farm, we patched stock tanks with what looked like asphalt roof tar. It came in a gallon can but I don't remember anything else about it. I don't know if it will stick to rubber. We had 10' diameter tanks that had a seam across the middle of the bottom. That is where I remember patching. This was in the 60's if that helps.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Fiber filled asphalt roofing cement is about the only thing I can think of that might work at this point.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

What about that stuff they advertise on TV that they fix basement leaks with? Shows him cutting an aluminum row boat apart and glueing it back together with the stuff. I think I've seen it at Lowes even though they want you to buy it direct on line. GPster

UGLY OLDS

Why not teach the horses to use the hose like everyone else does   :?:  :idea:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

purplepickup

Do they make stock tank liners?

As far as sealants go, they should be applied to the inside surface. You probably knew that though. I had a crack in a plastic water tank and a piece of gorilla tape inside has held 2 years so far.
George

Arnold

Thank You Very Much Gentlemen :D
I did a quick Google too..couldn't find anything on rubber sealed seams..or ANY seam seller..the ONLY leaking tank info I found was about patching rusted sections.
Couldn't really put tar on the inside..I thought of NIS roofing cement outside maybe the high solvent content would eat into this rubber as it does to asphalt? Enjenjo's looks best..fibrated roof seal..I have some of that too. I would need the brush grade.
Joe..basement leak stuff I don't think will stick to rubber
I dunno about liners Thanks..judging from all the problems with Rubbermaid tanks. I did just see a new Gorrlia glue probuct in a bulk sealant caulk tube..maybe that on the inside. I was also sortta thinking about some Made In  China (where they can break all rules) type silicone seal. I did use some Made In China house brand box store stuff not long ago..pretty serious stuff..probablly illegal :lol:

Bob is right..teach the horses to use the hose :lol:

Thanks Again  As Usual :D