rearend backing plates

Started by trackster, June 25, 2018, 04:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Does anybody have a source for backing plates for an early nineties S-10 Blazer, 4 wheel drive,  rear drums.  All I can find locally are the ones with 2 bolt mounting and clip on wheel cylinders.   Mine are 4 bolt mounting and bolt on wheel cylinder and are a lot heavier construction.  Would like to replace with the same if possible.   Haven't had any luck online.   Thanks for any and all input you can provide.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

GPster

I've just been through this rebuilding the rear brakes on the S10 (S15) rear end that I put in the Jeepster. I bought the year end out of a junker S10 Blazer and I didn't get the year when I picked it up. The early S10s up to '92 used the wheel cylinders that fastened on with those clips and the ones '93 and newer used wheel cylinders that bolted on. Dorman (Help) has them. They are packaged in pairs and include new brake shoe anchors. Those rear ends fall into the mid sized 10 bolt GM rear ends and I think they fall into the same year wheel cylinder changes. GPster

Bruce Dorsi

Using the info GPster supplied, I see that Rock Auto .com has new Delco backing plates for approx. $46 each.  ....There are pics there to see if they match what you are looking for.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

GPster

I think I got mine with the  Dorman # from Advance for about $35.00 for the pair. GPster

trackster

I tried the Dorman Help site and it shows nothing but the 2 hole style.   Any one have a part number for the 4 hole style?
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

GPster

Quote from: "trackster"I tried the Dorman Help site and it shows nothing but the 2 hole style.   Any one have a part number for the 4 hole style?
I understand your confusion but it will probably be all right. The frame I used under my Jeepster is an '87 GMC S15 2WD. The S10 frame swap sites that I visited said that if you wanted a little rear wheel track width that S10 4X4 rear ends would bolt in as a replacement and give you close to 6"more tread width. I started looking for a 4X4 rear end and jumped on the first one that appeared. It happened to be out of a S10 4WD 4dr Blazer and I was additionally happy thinking that now I had two complete rear brake sets with drums. I was first dismayed that the drums were different and under the drums the 4X4's ABS components were an additional mystery..Then I was further dismayed by the wheel cylinder question like you and when getting everything lined up to put it all together I found out that I had one drum that was warped . Junk yard looking for a replacement  drum I found that there are drums with cooling fins and drums without. They replace one another and the replacement that I found was on a rear end that had one of each on it. The Dorman parts are the same left or right. They let you decide where you want the hole for the parking brake cable.They probably only drill the two holes that everyone will use and let you decide if you want or need the other holes drilled. If you want so reassurance call Dorman or take your old one to the parts store and compare it to a new one and see if the holes are the only problem. This may only be a problem that gets bigger the more you think about it. GPster

Arnold

Hope you don't run into this too..I did :evil:

I could not find replacements for a job I was doing. The Dorman's..were PAPER THIN JUNK. Sure..lifetime warranty against rust. LIFETIME WARRANTY JUNK :evil: HOW did this ever come to be :?: Companies know this and capitalize in this.
   Mine are not far from toast..about 1 1/2 yrs later. ROTTED. EVER put backing plates on a "Police Issue" Suburban?. Think ONLY a hammered 12 point combination wrench will work with the axle in the vehicle. AS IN YOU HAMMER IT. NO socket will fit in there :evil: Use gas wrench and big hammer. Maybe sacrifice wrench.
   Happy Day when I had to do this job AGAIN Not that long ago..I just took it to a great local garage I deal with..shot the shi* with the mechanic as HE hammerred
    :lol: Him NOT :D

OH THE NEW "REPLACEMENT" backing plates from Dorman :evil: Apparently there are now LOTS :!: of "2 piece" backing plates. Open box..oh..these are 2 piece..that DO NOT FIT :evil: Leave truck on hoist and drive back to parts place. Same part #. I wonder what is in THIS box :?: Oh..another 2 piece that won't fit. Open OTHER boxes. Some are 1 piece..some are 2 piece. Just whatever they/whoever feels like stuffing in the box :evil:

Put on another 1 piece paper thin POS. Lifetime warranty.

Should be good for another 1 1/2 yrs

GPster

Arnold, your problems were in my mind when I first found the ABS problem on the 4X4 rear end I purchased. No information I found showed what I had so I thought maybe I had a retired Patrol Car. Around here old S10 frames rust in half under the bed. My problem was that the brakes had been so poorly maintained that the top anchor for the brake shoes was so badly grooved that the brakes would lock-up just spinning the wheels while the car was up in the air on jack stands. I couldn't find anyone that had replacement anchors. I tried to remove the anchors to have them built up with weld and machined back to size but when I found out that replacement anchors came with the backing plated  I thought they were a better choice than welding/machine cost. In addition trying to get the old anchors turned into such a mess with the clips that hold the wheel brake cylinders on that it was going to require new clips. Needing new clips, new brake shoes, turning (and replacing one) brake drums it made little sense to mix new and old parts. I don't know about your's but because of the ABS on my rear end the housing ends have an extended bracket on the ends that adds strength the the anchor and also adds support to the wheel cylinder mounts so the backing plates main use is for dust and to hold the anchor pins for the brake shoes. If the original parts were of any account we wouldn't have to use low quality replacements. GPster