Automatic transmission swaping

Started by GPster, April 29, 2018, 11:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

My neighbor has a '93 E250 Ford van with a  5.8L V8 . This was his work van until it quit running one day. He replaced it with a '91 E250 Ford van with a 4.9 straight 6. The '93 has been a source of parts for the '91 for years but it's now to the point that it will find it's way to the "crusher". The '91 has developed a transmission problem that was diagnosed as a bad torque converter. The '93 died with a good functioning transmission.The question is will the '93 transmission fit and function in the '91? They are both supposed to be computer controlled transmissions  but will the '93 work tied into the '91's computer? My knowledge on this stuff is older than it is.  I thought that at one time that Ford's big 6s shared the same bell housing pattern as their V8s and that the Ford's C-6 transmission had what looked like a removable bell housing that could be changed to mate it with the application. These could be false ideas but he doesn't want to give up the '93's transmission if it could make the '92 last a little longer. Ideas? GPster

enjenjo

I don't think the trans will interchange. The 91 would have an AOD transmission, and the 93 has a E4OD. The E4OD shifts electronically, and the AOD mechanically.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

My neighbor had looked it up on the internet and said that both vans were supposed to have E40D transmissions. That's why he's kept the '92 around for so long. I took a quick look on the internet and found that the AOD was used in Econolines til '93.  I guess he'd have to check them physically  but the '93 is by his garage here in Marietta and the '91 is in his parents garage in Columbus. GPster

enjenjo

I have a 93 E250, and it has an E4OD. It may have been a running change, Ford was good for that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Well we just pulled the transmission out of the '93.  On the door pillar it said it was a E transmission and it was. The '91 also said it has the E transmission on it's door pillar so here's hoping it's not lying. The plan at the moment is to sell the '91 (it's still be driven) with the '93 transmission loose in it. He's hoping the market in Columbus is better than down here. GPster