Alignment spec info....

Started by UGLY OLDS, February 28, 2018, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Hi Kids .....I was just sorting through the paperwork from our "Aerial Adventure" last year with the Ugly Olds ....

I found the printouts from the alignment after the repairs were complete & saw some specs that I understand but don't know how to convert to "Real World" info.....
All the printout info is in degrees & I would like to convert these to a measurement in inches if possible ....

The rear axle is offset to the right causing a 0.57 degree left offset to the thrust angle at the front axle ...( IE:  The "thrust angle" is offset 0.57 degrees to the left) ...

The R/front wheel centerline is setback 0.22 degrees from the left front.....( IE: The R/F wheel is 0.22 degrees behind the center of the left front)

The R/Rear wheel is setback 0.47 degrees from the L/Rear wheel...( Again..The R/R wheel is 0.47 degrees "behind" the left rear wheel )  
The wheelbase difference is 0.25 degrees, side to side .....

The wheelbase is 116" & the tread width is 60" both front & rear..
The front suspension is Mustang II & the rear suspension is "Truck Arm" style just like in a Cup car or early 60's Chevy pickup...
Can anyone convert the above readings into real "inches" so I can understand if more corrections are needed :?:  :?:

As you all know, the car was airborne & landed on the rear axle/rear bumper going backwards, then spun again & went forward down the embankment....( WHEEEEE :shock: )...

We have almost no driving time on the car except from shop to shop to home due to weather ....I am trying to get everything back to normal so we can return to driving this summer ....The car "feels" completely different to me due the the addition of power steering but does not pull or seem to wander other than "touchy" power steering ...We will correct that by adjusting pressure after driving ....

Thanks up front for the help...

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I have a thought. Scary at best. :) Maybe the numbers that are provided would be the same as before the wreck. Dimensional tolerances are something all builders try to minimize but don't always achieve. Short of me trying to do the math, the thrust angle would be the wheelbase as a radius and the offset is the portion of circumference that the degree represents. If somebody follows behind the car and it tracks straight, it would be as good as most. I'm going back into the corner and let somebody that knows more than me answer this. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

One degree on the front from side to side is 1/3". .22 degree in your case is .073", about 5/64", nothing to worry about.  Now the .47" in the rear is something that should be corrected. First thing I would check is for one of the center bolts having the head sheared off, not as uncommon as you might think, particularly in an accident.  It could be both, but I would bet on the left. If one of the center bolts are not the problem, you might have to drill a new hole for the center bolt to correct it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"One degree on the front from side to side is 1/3". .22 degree in your case is .073", about 5/64", nothing to worry about.  Now the .47" in the rear is something that should be corrected. First thing I would check is for one of the center bolts having the head sheared off, not as uncommon as you might think, particularly in an accident.  It could be both, but I would bet on the left. If one of the center bolts are not the problem, you might have to drill a new hole for the center bolt to correct it.

Thanks KB & Frank.... Altho the rear axle has no centerbolts or mounting"pins" like a leaf spring would, ( it is mounted solid to the trailing arms ), I will inspect all the rear axle mountings again ....What now has me further concerned , the rear axle setback appears to be to the right, ( R/Rear behind the L/Rear), but the thrust angle is 0.57 degrees to the left of center at the front axle.......The rear axle may be more crooked than we think.... :?

Thanks again ...

Bob .. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, inquiring minds want to know. I don't know why I didn't research this long ago. I think this is complete enough to answer any question about alignment. :)
http://www.crypton.co.za/Tto%20know/Wheel%20Alignment/Wheel%20Alignment%20Simplified.pdf
I guess people that build dragsters aren't worried about thrust angle. :)
TEAM SMART