Bomber Seats

Started by 50 F1, December 02, 2017, 06:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

Anybody use them? Are they comfortable? Anybody try building them?

Thanks Mike

WZ JUNK

My friend Doug Lee made his own.  He has not finished the car they are in, and he has not driven the car with the seats he made but they look great.  He designed them with a lever-cylinder suspension system much like an air ride seat but with gas cylinders like the ones used on rear lift gates.  The amount of up and down movement of the seats will be determined by the leverage set by where the cylinders attach to the levers.  He will have to dial them in once he drives the car.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Carnut

I do wonder how comfortable those seats are without a parachute for a cushion.

416Ford

I would not want them on Michigan road without 3" of foam under them and behind them. They have always seemed like there is not enough adjustment for the ride. Then again, bench seats don't either.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Charlie Chops 1940

I made my own for the "26 track roadster. The bottom was shaped from sheet metal to accept a 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird back seat bottom. They had lightening holes, were painted body color and bolted to the frame.  The backs were fabricated separately from aluminum and were left bare and attached to the back of the body. They could have had a thin pad but space was at a premium and they were fine without.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

I think the seats in the picture I posted will have a padded insert.  I visualize it as a 3 piece unit with a thick bottom, a middle back, and then an upper headrest.  It will need some kind of padding as the roads around here are not that good either.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH