This guy had a bad day

Started by enjenjo, November 22, 2017, 12:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I've read where you have to remove the cabs on some trucks to do a tune-up, but picked a bad spot to do that. Sounds like a young woman was driving?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

There surely is more to that story. :)
TEAM SMART

sirstude

Wonder if it is a rebuilder, the frame mounts look fine like there never were bolts in them.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

jaybee

Wow, I've never seen anything like that.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

UGLY OLDS

Rust can do funny things to the round GM cab mounts ...They rusted & fell off my '87 Suburban , causing the core support & front part of the body to be loose from the frame ...  :shock:
When we stripped my '89 Pickup, I broke 3 of them loose by prying between the frame & the bottom of the cab..... :?

How many people inspect cab mounts  :?:  :?:

Remember ...Rust Never Sleeps ..... :twisted:

Bob... :wink:

My '89 GMC Frame   vvvvvvvvv  :roll:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

I'll bet Dad's '87 Chevy Work Truck has some of this. The usual bed and cab corner rust was fixed some years ago. The bed hasn't been left full of water because it's had a topper on it since new, but the front fender tails are just about gone now. The fronts didn't show any rust when the previous bodywork was done.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Arnold

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Rust can do funny things to the round GM cab mounts ...They rusted & fell off my '87 Suburban , causing the core support & front part of the body to be loose from the frame ...  :shock:
When we stripped my '89 Pickup, I broke 3 of them loose by prying between the frame & the bottom of the cab..... :?

How many people inspect cab mounts  :?:  :?:

Remember ...Rust Never Sleeps ..... :twisted:

Bob... :wink:

My '89 GMC Frame   vvvvvvvvv  :roll:

Gotta get some rustproofing in there..somehow..before it is too late :roll: Drill some tiny holes and get the really thin long nozzles on aerosol cans in there.
  Those round GM cab mounts that you mentioned..ya..they can be sneaky..I have seen them rot from the INSIDE out. What LOOKS good..on the outside..give a tiny little poke..and....
  DITTO for the rockers and especially the inner rockers where they join the floor edge. It is real hard to see. Pretty common up here to see them for sale with "new rockers". Sure..get some "slip fit"s and slap them over the rotted rockers and that will hide the rot at the inner rocker to floor seam. Best way is to CUT an access hole where you can SEE and where you can SEE that you are coating it with rustproofing.

OR you can do what I did :!: Slide off edge of icy driveway with 6700lb PLUS plow Suburban with plow on it into ditch :evil:
  Seeing as how now the rocker is badly crunched..it would be the PERFECT time :lol:  to just cut the outer rocker off.
  AHhhhh NOW I can deal with that.
  REMEMBER :!: to NOT plow the snow that way again.
  Plow the OTHER way.. :oops:  :oops: Slide off that way too

Yes Sir..NO outer rockers on that truck now :lol: It actually looks ok! Trimmed them fairly neat.Very lightly scraped them lightly hand wire brushed,sprayed them with PB Blaster,let that sit for a day,sprayed them with Seafoam to get the PB off,then sprayed them with Kleenflo Rustkleen rustproofing. Seems to be hanging tough a few years now

UGLY OLDS

On my Suburban, I had one of the big lower body mount washers, fall off IN THE DRIVEWAY...We were sitting on the deck one evening & heard a "clink-clink" where the truck was parked ...All I found was the lower mount washer laying on the ground ... :(

That was the truck we kept running until I was FORCED to quit driving it ..As I said before, BOTH core support mounts were gone. allowing the front sheetmetal to move around hitting bumps ...This would in turn let the fan hit the shroud.. :roll:  At that point, hitting a well placed bump would move the front end back to where it belonged .... :shock:  All this while driving in traffic .. :!:
The rear quarters were rotted to within 6" of the back side windows, the rear window kept the tailgate closed as the strikers & hinges had rotted off... Crossing railroad tracks would cause the tailgate to move around ...All four doors were rotted to the point that it was useless to lock them , as you could just grab the lock control rods for "Easy Access"....You kinda get the idea ....BUT..It ran GREAT..Always started ..Heater worked super..It was the consummate winter "beater"....The only GM Truck I ever owned that had a rusted glove box door .....  :roll:  :lol:

The photo I posted above is the FRAME rail from my next truck...NOT a rocker or door panel ... :shock:  That truck rotted & broke both frame rails right at the rear spring, front hangers ..It was broken to the point that we had to put cargo straps from the crossmember under the transfer case to the rear bumper to pull the truck "together" enough to load it on a trailer ...After we stripped it, this was the final photo I got when the yard lifted it off the trailer ...All that is holding the front & back halves together is a parking brake cable ... :(

Like you suggested, when I got my NEXT GM pickup, my first project was to pull all the plugs & access covers under the cab & empty can after can of Rustoleum into the rockers & cab corners until it ran out of the drain holes .....This has helped , but prolly 2 years from now I will need to replace them .. This year I removed the bed & fuel tank & "de-scaled" & painted the complete undercarriage ... New fuel tank..New fuel & brake lines, blasted & painted the bottom of the bed ....Etc ..Etc ...When having new tires installed at the local tire shop, the techs found it hilarious that I went through all that work on a 20 year old truck...When I reminded them that to duplicate my truck with a new 2017, they would spend approx $54K they understood ..... :roll:

Have I ever mentioned that " I HATE RUST" .. :twisted:  :twisted:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

I had an 86 Olds Cutlass Sierra 4 door that I beat around in for a couple years. Ugly brown rust bucket. Every time I'd close any door, there would be a pile of rust on the ground. I finally found four Buick doors that would fit, IIRC, they were light blue. I left them that color, and after I sold it to someone else, they finally rattle canned the doors to almost match.

I told everyone that the Olds was the one from the movie Fargo, that the Olds salesman drove.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil