Flat tow Ford aod trans?

Started by 32 Chevy, June 13, 2017, 05:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

Hiya, I havent posted for a while but continue to lurk. Its amazing what I can learn here by osmosis.

Question: we now have a motor home and I'd like to tow my 56 Ranchwagon as an occasional dinghy behind the landyacht. The '56 is powered by a 5.0 H.O with AOD trans. Does anyone know wether the AOD can be towed 4 wheels down with a tow bar without harming the trans?

kb426

I'm pretty sure the answer is no but it's been 15 years since I had one and did research about towing a car with one. Crosley should be along soon.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "32 Chevy"

Question: we now have a motor home and I'd like to tow my 56 Ranchwagon as an occasional dinghy behind the landyacht. The '56 is powered by a 5.0 H.O with AOD trans. Does anyone know wether the AOD can be towed 4 wheels down with a tow bar without harming the trans?

You will destroy the planetary gear train towing it. The drive shaft becomes the power input at the rear of the transmission.  No transmission  lube oil because the pump is not turning with the engine off
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

you have some options...

a driveshaft disconnect.. several brands are available.. http://www.swdriveline.com/remco_driveline_disconnect.html

depending on which rear end yoke you have.. old school ford that used straps.. you would need to create something like a yoke style muffler strap to allow the driveshaft to be disconnected at the rear joint and mounted off angle to the yoke type muffler hanger. something like this yoke type.. http://www.cjponyparts.com/single-exhaust-hanger-kit-v8-2-1-4-1968-1970/p/EXHK12/

i wonder how a 56 ranch wagon will tow with 4 wheels on the ground.. will it follow properly?  or will the wheels keep rocking over..

may need to introduce more caster to the front alignment to make it self centering a little better..

32 Chevy

Thanks for your responses. I just put new ball joints in so will be having alignment done. The '56 has original suspension with new bushings, sway bar, etc and sits 2" lower than stock because of the Granada spindles. Wheels / tires are 225 -70 / 16.

The car originally had manual steering so there may be a limited amount of caster available. (It currently has a bit of tendancy to wander) components are tight but I always seem to need to add steering wheel input on straight roads.

When I take it to the alignment shop the first thing they ask is what specs I want. Based on your experience, what would you advise for settings?

enjenjo

1 to 2 degrees positive caster with power steering and radial tires, 1/4 degree positive camber, and 1/16" toe in at most.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

32 Chevy

Thanks, I'll let you know the result.