SBC W. Pump Q

Started by Arnold, July 16, 2017, 11:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

I have a matching # unit off a 1970. For sale. A guy looks at it like it has the kooties..because it has a by-pass on it. Uhh :roll: if you don't want the by-pass UNHH..just unthread it and put the plug back in :roll: He says the by-pass is not oem. I doubt whether I would have kept it a lifetime ago if it was not oem. I am pretty sure some apps had by-passes on them? Yes/no? Anyone know? Thanks :D

wayne petty

there are NO matching numbers on water pumps.

there are Casting numbers and  julian Date codes.. unless i am completely crazy..

what application. was it for.. corvettes i think still used a short water pump.

got a casting number and date code..

did you send it out for rebuilding.. so its ready to go.

i know of a water pump components store that sells to rebuilders..  they have like a $40 minimum order.  if you knew what you needed.

GPster

Just information that I've gathered over the years at swap meets (of course they were trying to sell me something). I think the long water pumps started to be used in cars in '68, '69. They still used the short water pump in trucks and "Vettes" thru '73. I had one guy tell me that the water pumps that were tapped for a heater hose fitting were for "Vettes" (and I was getting a real deal because he wasn't asking more). The engines that head with holes tapped tin the front of the head had a cast piece that bolted on the front of the heads to mount the alternator because things got a little tight for the alternator with the short pumps. Power steering pumps were a real trick too. GPster

Arnold

By "matching #" I meant by the casting id roughly what year it was and what other info was on there . I tagged it and made a note on the tag..when I took it off. All I really needed to know if there were apps that used a by-pass/heater fitting. Corvettes..Thank You guys..I just never thought of them. I did later do a Google and found no fewer than 6 fittings that were used around that time.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Arnold"By "matching #" I meant by the casting id roughly what year it was and what other info was on there . I tagged it and made a note on the tag..when I took it off. All I really needed to know if there were apps that used a by-pass/heater fitting. Corvettes..Thank You guys..I just never thought of them. I did later do a Google and found no fewer than 6 fittings that were used around that time.
"
If you sell at swap meets very often you will notice that there are many "expert" or "professional" buyers with exceptional knowledge of almost everything you have to sell. Take it all with a grain of salt, although sometimes they actually meet the "buyer" criteria and buy something. I had one of those at Coulmbus a week ago who was in praise of the Halibrand Sprints I had for sale and sorta scoffed at the Hal replicas I had. Saturday morning he bought a pair of nice copies. Ya never know.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Arnold

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
Quote from: "Arnold"By "matching #" I meant by the casting id roughly what year it was and what other info was on there . I tagged it and made a note on the tag..when I took it off. All I really needed to know if there were apps that used a by-pass/heater fitting. Corvettes..Thank You guys..I just never thought of them. I did later do a Google and found no fewer than 6 fittings that were used around that time.
"
If you sell at swap meets very often you will notice that there are many "expert" or "professional" buyers with exceptional knowledge of almost everything you have to sell. Take it all with a grain of salt, although sometimes they actually meet the "buyer" criteria and buy something. I had one of those at Coulmbus a week ago who was in praise of the Halibrand Sprints I had for sale and sorta scoffed at the Hal replicas I had. Saturday morning he bought a pair of nice copies. Ya never know.

When I used to go to swap meets. (I believe we still have the biggest swap meet in the world here..Birds or Burls Creek or something)(( Runs several times per year)) I could not stand the "Know it alls". I used to take along with me some obscure Police cruiser parts to keep the "know it alls" going. Nice people got a FULL POLITE response.