Car Key Q

Started by Arnold, July 09, 2017, 11:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

I have purchased a few vehicles in the last few years that only had 1 key. Off to the dealer to get spare keys made. Couple hundred per vehicle per key. I lose my spare key to 1 vehicle the other day. I ask at the local garage who can fix anything. Ya..as above he says. In his parking lot I see the CAA guy..If anyone knows it should be these guys. As above. I go to our local car box store. Canadian Tire..as above. I go to a local locksmith. As above. And another. Ok I guess that is that. I did not Google this.

I happen by our small hardware store looking for something else. They have some rinky dink small kiosky thingy that advertises to stick your key in here and see if we can make a spare. :lol: Ya I'll be right on that :roll:

The guy there asks if I need a key cut. Ya..just this chip key. Sure..info key etc and they will see if they have that blank. Yes..they have the blank..takes a minute or so..right now..guaranteed $40. He says the car WILL run for 15 minutes. Then MAY quit. That is so re-assuring :twisted: No worries..then it will start right up again. USE THIS KEY NOW FOR 15 MINUTES! He starts the car no problem I use the key. Problem solved for $40.

Excuse me but I know nothing about this kind of stuff. I paid for "re-programming" at the dealers..leave the car,ownership.blah,blah,blah. I think now it was bendoverbendover.

Are ALL the people I mentioned that far out of the loop :?:

Aside from the reaming..somein' just does not sound right?

The hardware says they can do 90% of all vehicles made up to 2013.

kb426

The 96 mustang I used for a donor had a user programming feature that most people would have given up on before they finished. If the stores device reads the resistance in the chip, then programming should be possible. It sounds to me like the ecu completed the job in the 15 minute run time. I have a young cute friend who took her car to the dealership to have some warranty work completed before the warranty expired. She had damaged a key fob so I got her a replacement with the proper code number. The mechanic did hers for free. If I need a key made, I'm going to see if she has time to run an errand for me. :)
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Around here you can get a duplicate chip key made at Walmart, Home Depot & Lowes for about $30. Or...I see there's a few videos on YouTube where they remove the chip from a woking key and glue or tape it to the steering column. Then you can just use a cut key and the computer reads the chip thinking the key has a chip.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x4v8l75kP_w
George

BFS57

Hello;
Cars and computers!!! JHK! Have a warning about my air bag on my Trailblazer. Take it to the dealer. They say it is a sensor on the seat belt! Cost to repair $600!!!!
I asked how much for what: (YOU'LL LIKE THIS) it's $250/00 for a new seatbelt and the rest is a "re-programming fee"
Guess what! FORGET THAT!!!!!

Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

About 10 yrs ago or more:  My Wife lost her key to 2001 For F-150 truck we had.

It was cheaper at that time to have a key made and programed into the truck at the dealer.  110 $ as I recall.  Lock smiths wanted 150 $

Once I had 2 keys with chips... the Ford truck system  would program more keys.  So after that we had 4 keys to that dang truck.

Some of the remote start systems added onto vehicles.. required a 'chipped' key taped to the steering column under the dash so the remote start system would operate.  A programmed key that was NOT cut with teeth was usually used. Avoided some theft  problems  of the vehicle
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Crosley"About 10 yrs ago or more:  My Wife lost her key to 2001 For F-150 truck we had.

It was cheaper at that time to have a key made and programed into the truck at the dealer.  110 $ as I recall.  Lock smiths wanted 150 $

Once I had 2 keys with chips... the Ford truck system  would program more keys.  So after that we had 4 keys to that dang truck.

Some of the remote start systems added onto vehicles.. required a 'chipped' key taped to the steering column under the dash so the remote start system would operate.  A programmed key that was NOT cut with teeth was usually used. Avoided some theft  problems  of the vehicle

I did something similar with my 99 Ranger. I put in a remote starter (didn't have a garage at the time), and it came with the key bypass gadget, but it didn't work with my truck. I took the chip out of one of the keys and glued it to the inside of the steering column; worked very well. It was about the size of a medicine capsule. My daughter just got rid of that truck last year.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil