C-6 shifts into third too quick

Started by junkyardjeff, May 03, 2017, 09:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Modulator is adjusted in all the way so is it time to look for a longer pushrod or is something else wrong,was not too bad with 2.75 gears but changed to 3.00 gears and now its into third around 20.

phat46

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Modulator is adjusted in all the way so is it time to look for a longer pushrod or is something else wrong,was not too bad with 2.75 gears but changed to 3.00 gears and now its into third around 20.

Might need a different modulator. My very limited knowledge of C-6's is changing the modulator to change the shift points.

junkyardjeff

I need to see what one it has and go with another when it quits raining,I will shift it manually for now.

Crosley.In.AZ

install vacuum gauge at the trans side of the vacuum line from engine.

Verify you have quick rise and fall of vacuum with engine throttle application.  Check this at the modulator valve

Ford of these early designs... Known for having "trapped" vacuum.  Mean; the vacuum does not fluctuate quickly with engine load via throttle.

Stell line can clog at the ends...  full length rubber hose can collapse

If vacuum remains high... transmittin shifts quickly.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

junkyardjeff

No stripe on the modulator and no help to do a vacumn check.

junkyardjeff

Since it quit raining today I was able to put some miles on it and its not as bad now,I just think it needed to adjust itself to the new gears some and when I do get into the go pedal it will shift later but since the modulator is turned in all the way there is something not quite right so I will still have to look into it some but not as soon as I originally thought.