Supplemental air spring

Started by WZ JUNK, February 22, 2017, 06:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I needed a little more spring on the 54 Chevy and I wanted it to be adjustable so that I could vary the amount of assist depending on how I had the car loaded.  Air shocks are not a good idea on these cars as the upper shock is attached to a  reinforced part of the floor and not the car frame.   I bought two of the smaller bags and made my own brackets since they did not offer a kit specific to a 54 Chevy.  I copied the Ridetech universal brackets but I made them to fit a Chevy.  The difference in the car is amazing.  It is one of the best things I have done.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Did you mount a compressor on the car? Are you using a gauge on the dash to observe pressure?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I do not know what method I will use to control the air pressure.  It requires a very small amount of air and it looks like maybe 20psi may be enough to do the job.  I have a small air compressor that I salvaged from one of those jump start emergency packs.  It might be enough.  I plan to test it tomorrow.

A friend gave me this little regulator that is supposed to be factory equipment on a 66 El Camino.  It does say Delco on the gauge.  If I had a small air tank, I could use this device to set the pressure.

I will come up with something.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

Matt

GPster

I've been thinking that I might try something like that under the back end of the Jeepster . The S15 GMC springs were pickup load rated and the Jeepster is a lot lighter.  Right now it is sitting at about the level I plan for it and all that is holding it there is the main leaf and probably the 3rd and 5th leaf from the original spring pack.  Those leaves are in there backwards  (back to front) so that there is more in the front to prevent "spring wrap-up". I've got enough room between the axel and the frame so I don't need to "C" it but I'd rather not have to use too many leaves in the spring to get capacity if I need it. GPster

WZ JUNK

Today I drove it a lot and I had 15 psi in the bags.  It was just right.  My wife drove it this evening and we both are very happy.  I put it to the ultimate test with a place that previously would jar your teeth and although the bump was noticeable, it was not severe and the rear of the car did not bottom out on the snubber.  I am going to call this one a success and move on to other items.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

Does the bottom plate on the airbag attach to the u bolts for the axle?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Does the bottom plate on the airbag attach to the u bolts for the axle?

Yes, but I made mine attach to the lowering block with a bracket that I welded to the lowering block.  I used self locking nuts to connect the two parts and I left a clearance so that the plate could move on the spring a little if it needed to as the spring flexed.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

jaybee

Nice! Often the simple solution is the best solution.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)