new windshield

Started by 48ford, September 16, 2004, 08:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I need to replace the windshield in the 46 ford.
Has anyone used a one peace windshield? Or should i just v-butt it with oversized glass?
I think you would have distortion with a single glass thats bent.anyone know for sure?
Thanks Russ&Irene

Kctom

Quote from: "48ford"I need to replace the windshield in the 46 ford.
Has anyone used a one peace windshield? Or should i just v-butt it with oversized glass?
I think you would have distortion with a single glass thats bent.anyone know for sure?
Thanks Russ&Irene

Put one in my 38. There was a little distortion in the center. But it sure was nice looking. The little distortion is a whole bunch better than the ugly v-butt seam.
TOM

348tripower

I had a V butt in my 37, but I have a one piece now and I love it! :D

Quote from: "48ford"I need to replace the windshield in the 46 ford.
Thanks Russ&Irene
Don Colliau

alchevy

I looked at one of those one piece windshields at the Nats in Louisville this year and saw some of the distortion in it. That + the cost has got me to thinking the stock windshield is the way I'm going to go right now on mine. The post does not bother me in my '40 Chevy. A friend of mine bought one of the one piece ones at the Nats this year and said that he would have to do some work  to round the middle to make the car body match the new windshield (take out the pointed section, make it more round). I told him that it was good that he is doing this now because he has not taken the car to the paint shop yet. His car is a '38 Chevy Coupe.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Jimc

I have seen them in the 46-48 cars and really like them.

I am wanting one for my 47, but locals try to talk me out of it, saying the v butted is better.

It is my thinking that the center chrome strip, or the v butt seam is going to be a  distraction or, rather, an impediment to the frontal vision,

I do not see why the minimal distortion of a one oiece would be any different.

There is a flamed black car running around KC Mo that has had a one piece for quite a while.
The owner is an older guy and says it don't bother him.

My car is quite a way from being ready for glass so we will see what happens.
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Charlie Chops 1940

I priced a 1 piece for my chopped '40 convert at the Nats. $750 struck me as a tad high.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Jimc

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I priced a 1 piece for my chopped '40 convert at the Nats. $750 struck me as a tad high.

Charlie

That does seem a bit out of pocket change.
I can get a complete set of glass for my 47(not chopped) for just more than half of that.
Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

48ford

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I priced a 1 piece for my chopped '40 convert at the Nats. $750 struck me as a tad high.

Charlie
I looked at one for $379.00 but it was not chopped.
Russ