Has anybody ever

Started by 57larry, September 13, 2016, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

I have a 1991 Chevy 350 block that does not have the holes for a mech fuel pump. Is it possible to drill the block for a mechanical pump? thanks, Larry

sirstude

My 502 does not have them either.  Also does not have the pump rod drilled out.  Don't think this is a hand drill operation.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

UGLY OLDS

Some blocks have them ... If the block has a bolt on plate where the fuel pump normally goes , pull the plate & look ... I have a 1990 block in my Olds that has the 4 bolt plate, the pushrod hole drilled & no fuel pump lobe on the camshaft...

I also have a 1989 block that has the 4 bolt plate & no pushrod hole drilled..

A quick way to check is to see if the bolt hole in the front of the block, ( the one that you put a bolt in to hold the fuel pump pushrod when changing pumps), is "blind" or is open...A quick blast from an air nozzle will tell you if the pushrod hole is drilled ....As was said above, I agree this is NOT a "drill it yourself" operation....

Bob...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

57larry

block does not have a block off plate

rooster

We did it, you have to drill a oil return also. Still have not installed engine though. Got fuel pump push rod with brass tips from summit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18130316@N07/29824326245/in/datetaken/

rooster