night class .

Started by chimp koose, September 13, 2016, 12:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I just started teaching my machining night class tonight . Holy cow , I have 20 students ! Lots of them are return students going for the next level but I have 12 new students from 3 other high schools in town . I am over enrolled !

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"I just started teaching my machining night class tonight . Holy cow , I have 20 students ! Lots of them are return students going for the next level but I have 12 new students from 3 other high schools in town . I am over enrolled !

Word must have gotten out that this class has a pretty good instructor  :?:
Thanks Again for what you do... );b(

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Any females? Are these all young people?
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

5 Girls in class . My oldest student is 70 this year I think . I have 5 students in late 50s to 70 yrs old . I have an engineer from a machine shop in town probably sent by another engineer from the same shop who took the course 2 years ago . It is always an interesting mix of students from teens to retirees.

chimp koose

Oh yeah , the enrollment hit 25 today so I had to go to the office and see about trimming it down . Ideal class size is 16 to 18 students due to the available equipment and the time needed to get to everyone to help with questions .

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"Oh yeah , the enrollment hit 25 today so I had to go to the office and see about trimming it down . Ideal class size is 16 to 18 students due to the available equipment and the time needed to get to everyone to help with questions .

How about you take on the 25 people & the school pays you extra $$$$$$$   :?:  :idea:

Bob.. :wink:

chimp koose

Ya Bob , like THAT would ever happen ! If there were 3 more students it could be broken into 2 classes. That will never happen . The welding instructor and I are talking about offering a combined welding / Machining evening course next semester and there looks to be enough interest. At this rate I will be one of the busiest teachers in the city , but have no hobby time . My enrollment in the day classes took a drop this year and I am working to bring that back up .

UGLY OLDS

QuoteMy enrollment in the day classes took a drop this year and I am working to bring that back up .
[/quote]

I GOT IT  :!:  :!:  
Tell some of your "night time" students to swing by during the day  :?:
That should help balance things out ...  8)

( OK..My wife helped me with this ..Her degree is in math... :oops: )

Bob.. :wink:

chimp koose

The only kids from my school taking the night class are doing it because they cant fit it in during the day .I have 5 kids taking this class in addition to a full class load during the day .

idrivejunk

It's good to know there's lots of interested people. Heck there's just lots of people! Enjoy being so busy, it means you've been doing something very right all this time. :D
Matt

butch27

ALL teachers are over enrolled these days.

BFS57

Hello;
Wish there were more of you!
I just moved from Florida to SF. Saw the other day that the BART is looking to fill some 200 positions! Most engineering and assembly!
The BART expressed their need by saying that they had hired a outside co to help fill these positions because of the high cost of living here was not yealding any applicants!!!! And the BART is paying this co some $500,000.00 (Half million dollars) to find qualified candidates!
JHC! why doesn't the under employment department along with some technical colleges here, help qualify some of these much needed employees and sponsor classes for them to (folks already living here)  work for BART!!! And receive some of that "over compensation" for their efforts!!!
I guess the Governer here is totally brain dead!!!

Bruce

chimp koose

Education costs money and there are govts that look at education as a soft target for cutting expenses . The problem with cutting education funding is that the effects are not felt immediately . We had a problem here with a huge shortage of qualified journeyman tradespeople. A journeyman electrician here now earns over $50/hr as they are hard to come by . Most trade related shops had to up their wages or fear losing their journeymen to other shops . There was a lot of mine expansion and a lot of work to do . Many companies were offering incentives if you would work overtime .One machine shop offered a $1000 bonus every 4 months on top of wages if you would work 75 overtime hours in a 4 month period . People were being brought in from overseas to work , requiring a translator in one local shop .The question I have is this . When the training programs were cut in the late 80s to save taxes , did anyone think ahead to what it would cost today in wages , overtime , incentives and turned away work because of the lack of a trained workforce ? The cost to the education system now in educating the families of imported workers,who do not have English as a first language must itself compare to the cost savings made from cutting the trade education programs in the 80s . The better educated a society is , the higher its standard of living . The money made in our now passed economic boom has left our community with the skilled tradesmen who came here to earn it . The youth who wanted training and employment are still looking. I will climb off my soapbox now . did not intend this thread to go this way but I have an opinion in this area .