Fabric roof shave- 33 Ford coupe

Started by idrivejunk, August 26, 2016, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Good post, Matt. The shrinkage on the gap is something we all fight. About the time I think I have it figured out, I find I know nothing. :) I fully understand the value of that car. :)

I was just glad I had enough intuition to keep myself out of big trouble metal-wise. The lost and needing help feeling was NOT something I was gonna allow to sneak up on me! There were tense moments. The first day I listened to the Slayer station on Pandora, nice and loud. Love my metal! Sensing that calm nerves might prevail over those hurry get done and don't screw up nerves, the second day of welding was to the Hank Williams station in the morning and ZZ Top in the afternoon. Played softer.

The calm helped but sometimes headbanger music is the ticket, like when doing brainless sanding. This was an occasion for focus. I really liked how everyone came and peeked for a minute but kept going so I didn't lose my train of thought. I liked the work so much that noon and quitting time snuck up on me every time this week!
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Very nice job. Like Carnut, it amazes me what people can do with body work.

There's no limits! Glad you like. When I was a kid I hoped to play with drag cars when I grew up. This kinda stuff would be OK by that kid I reckon.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Thank you for the explanation Matt ...  8)
I agree with Carnut ..It's good to learn from the best .... :D
I think that we ALL are learning something from your post's ...  );b(
If I understand correctly, would cutting the roof "inside" the orange painted lines & then sneaking up with snips possibly have helped make the "patch" fit better  :?:  :idea:

Believe me ...There was all kinds of things that I thought that I knew before this site found me ... :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

very nice, thx for the photos and eggsplanation
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Much obliged, Tony  8)

Bob:
Ah, snips. Never owned a pair! The idea was to leave just enough edge to make contact so it would lay in it but not quite fall through. Then to tack starting where there's too much gap, and then to cut between tacks to establish the gap width. Where I began, the scoring was sloppy and I had wide next to no gap. Hence the difficulties.

I pondered plug welding temporary tabs under the roof so the patch could lay in all the way for a gap-perfecting session with grinder on edges. Tossed that idea, it would not evenly distribute the patch's weight and therefore skew the contour at the seam. Also it would be extra holes and welding heat. Blocking the patch in place with supports was out for the same weight reason. I needed the roof to bear the patch weight during initial tacking.

It took me until my mid-40s to develop a skill set that I can rely on. My left brain was absolutely screaming caution and anybody I asked about it kinda got wide eyed. My right brain had no qualms and just wanted to walk up to the car and start. Mike is quite familiar with my work and looked me in the eye sternly over his reading glasses-

"You do this however you are comfortable with.". That was my cue to shut out the world and do my job, and here we are.
Matt

idrivejunk

The only thing I regret is forgetting to somehow use my favorite Festus-ism during all this because it fits so well:

If Matt Dillon chasing outlaws is the 33 and Miss Kitty is the rest of the world, Festus might say to her that he's as safe as a badger in a barrel full of cottonmouths. Meaning there is cause to worry but chances are good for a safe return of the Marshal. Nobody really doubted me and that boosts confidence. I'm my own worst critic and I appreciate you guy's interest. :D
Matt

Rrumbler

Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

idrivejunk

I guarantee she's as straight as a circle  :wink:

Went another round of hammer and dolly on that seam, at least on the passenger side I did. Also did a swipe with rust converter to be on the safe side before sanding and applying this rattle can etch primer as a temporary coating. It helped me see better, having the black stuff on it.

I tapped around then sprayed more a couple times (no thats not all I did today, maybe an hour on that). Its nice enough there now. More could be done on the other side, and I did spy maybe 5 pinholes in the whole seam. Mostly in one area. I'm OK now if they want to sand and epoxy it. I dreamed up a wood brace for it but have not made it yet.

Just a couple pics, keeping it honest!

Matt

kb426

Looks good, Matt. I hope you're better with wood than I am, because if you're not, you will be knee deep in saw dust and have a disgusted look on your face. :)
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

That is some nice work. I have a sun roof hole to fill in a '69 Chevy truck cab and I've been putting it off for a long time. I have a spare roof to cut the patch from but I'm at a loss where to start since it is a double panel roof.

I am considering welding the inner panel since it's ribbed and stronger and will get a headliner. Then maybe flanging the outer and using panel bonding adhesive since I won't have any way to access it for hammer and dolly work. I'm running out of other things to do.

Tom

idrivejunk

Quote from: "39deluxe"That is some nice work. I have a sun roof hole to fill in a '69 Chevy truck cab and I've been putting it off for a long time. I have a spare roof to cut the patch from but I'm at a loss where to start since it is a double panel roof.

I am considering welding the inner panel since it's ribbed and stronger and will get a headliner. Then maybe flanging the outer and using panel bonding adhesive since I won't have any way to access it for hammer and dolly work. I'm running out of other things to do.

Tom

Sounds like a new roof skin with all the flanges would be the right way. I have not messed with an old truck roof replacement, yet! I would say bonding a partial roof might work because I have used filler over panel bond at the sails on my 69 Pontiac, but it has been hailed on twice pretty hard and has indeed cracked but after many years. If your roof might vibrate a lot, I dunno about doing that. I'd need to know the plan better.

The owner of the '33 was in today, kinda snuck up on me while I was hard at it which is good. He was quite pleased, and had more smirk than he could completely wipe off. We talked about the rockers and what-not. Looked me in the eye and said "Good job!" shook my hand and left. Perfect. He ran his hand over the roof seam in just the right spot and was firing off a text a minute later and I can guess about what. A timely fashion is something they always appreciate.

I have been working on the firewall and floor, and hidden hinges have arrived so thats next. We also spoke about welding up some poorly secured rocker panels at the inner. Lots of work to do.
Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

39deluxe

Thanks for the advice. This will be a project for this winter. That still gives me time to contemplate. I know a guy that has a tailgate skin bonded on an S-10 that has been there for more than 10 years but that probably is more rigid than a roof skin. I notice NAPA sells a regular panel bond and also a structural panel bond. I need to investigate further.

Tom

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Matt, that was a good day! :)

I thought so, and I thank you  :)  but didn't feel like I accomplished much. The lines on the firewall and toe board do look a lot better.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "39deluxe"Thanks for the advice. This will be a project for this winter. That still gives me time to contemplate. I know a guy that has a tailgate skin bonded on an S-10 that has been there for more than 10 years but that probably is more rigid than a roof skin. I notice NAPA sells a regular panel bond and also a structural panel bond. I need to investigate further.

Tom

The thing with bonding panels is that the safe way to do it is to weld at the corners. A bonded flange, once the attached panel is cut away, can be peeled away like opening a Spam can but with needlenose pliers. So the understanding is that a panel should be welded at the ends so that it can't be peeled off the car by a glancing blow. Like when a panel gets ripped open.

Recently I have seen mention of bonding skin panels at a flanged exterior joint with filler over it. Not for me, thanks. I have bonded many roofs on, all welded at the corners of the glass beds. I think you'd get into trouble later by doing a partial panel with a seam on a skin panel face, and surely if theres no welding done. Replacing the entire panel again wins, as that could be properly bonded / welded at the intended edges. A bonded-only patch is not something I would suggest attempting.
Matt