Best Way to Flush a New Fuel Tank?

Started by 47wood, September 22, 2004, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47wood

I've got a beautiful new Rock Valley 20-gallon stainless steel fuel tank for the '47.  It's got the fuel pump pre-mounted for the LS1 and I've got the sending unit ready to install.  While they've pressure tested and flushed it before shipping they recommend I flush it again before install.  My thought was to pour a gallon in and slosh it around good then pour it out and repeat a couple of times, blow it out with the shop air and air dry.  Is there a better way?  Thanks in advance for the experience and thoughts?  

Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "47wood"I've got a beautiful new Rock Valley 20-gallon stainless steel fuel tank for the '47.  It's got the fuel pump pre-mounted for the LS1 and I've got the sending unit ready to install.  While they've pressure tested and flushed it before shipping they recommend I flush it again before install.  My thought was to pour a gallon in and slosh it around good then pour it out and repeat a couple of times, blow it out with the shop air and air dry.  Is there a better way?  Thanks in advance for the experience and thoughts?  

Cal   :wink:

I don't have an answer but I had a new aluminum gas tank, did nothing installed and filled with gas. I did find what appeared to be 3m scotch type pad material in the filter.  I do not think anything I did would have removed that with a small amout of gas and slosh and remove.  I did tig in a 3/8 bung for future draining.  Ed ke6bnl seee what others think
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Bib_Overalls

The fuel pump should be easy to remove.  I'd pop it out just to be sure.  Couple of taps with a hammer and wide faced drift punch.  Don't think you would need to flush it more than once with a half gallon of gas.  Poor it out int a glass jar.  If the gas looks like it has suspended trash do it again.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

47wood

Okay, I flushed it today a couple of times.  The first time there was a few particles of dirt.  It's air drying now and I feel much better about it.  Thanks guys for the suggestions.    :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!