Blowing fuses

Started by butch27, September 07, 2016, 05:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

I keep blowing out brake light/turn signal fuses in the T bucket.  I've checked all connections and had to replace the flasher once.  I have a hydraulic brake seitch .  Any ideas????  thanks Butch

kb426

Can you post a wiring diagram of what you have?
TEAM SMART

butch27

Charlie Chops 1940

Disconnect the switch and put in a jumper, see if the fuse still pops.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

butch27

Just jump the 2 posts on the brake switch??

wayne petty

hydraulic brake light switches sometimes FAIL. and cause shorts to ground when the brakes are applied..

inside there is a steel diaphragm.  its in an insulating ring. if the insulating ring that is embedded in the brake switch body has gone bad.. it will allow the brake light power to the switch to go directly to ground instead of thru the tail light bulb filaments..

so remove the electrical connections from the hydraulic brake light switch..  touch them together away from the switch and see if it still blows the fuse..

if it does not.. replace the brake light switch..

if you have a test light.. clip the gator to one of the brake switch terminals.. touch the probe to something positive..  or do it the other way.. have somebody apply the brakes.. if your test light turns on while testing one side with both wires disconnected the switch is shorted to ground internally..

i hope i have not confused  you as much as this loop the loop of text did to me..

butch27

butch27

It was the hydraulic brake switch.  Thanks.  I would go to a manual one but just don't have the room.

wayne petty

its a rare failure for the hydraulic brake light switch short to ground. just enjoy your car..  don't worry about it. almost every parts store actually sells them. look it up for an early 60 or late 50s ford..

one might enjoy all the work this guy went to about hydraulic brake light switches.

http://www.sw-em.com/hydraulic%20brake%20light%20switches%20notes.htm