The Roofus Special

Started by Flipper, March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

Well, no rolling chassis this weekend either...  The idea I had for making the attachment to the balljoints wasn't going to work.  Time for a plan B.

I did do something constructive though.

The last time I moved the car, I did something stupid.  To balance it on the chain hoist, I ran the chain around the dash bar and the firewall bar.  The leverage pulled the dash bar forward and damaged the frame.

Well I worked on making the frame stronger.

First, I cut out the damage and welded in fresh metal.

Then I came up with a reinforcement plate to spread the load out (more cop car metal)

glued in

seriously glued in

top surface ground down

I still have to do the other side....
Next time, I won't lift the whole car by the dash.  Engine and trans are coming out.

Flipper

I worked on figuring out what it will take to get the upper a-arms attached to the frame.

I cut these from a piece of 2x4

so that I could do this

The idea is to mount the mercedes shafts on plates so that the arms can be bolted to the frame.  The problem is that the frame is not square with the world...the rails are pinched.

The arms need to be mounted at an angle.

simple enough...in theory

now to make it pretty

make mirror image one too...

Next step will be to prep the front rails for the arms.

Flipper

Well,  This project stalled big time....but I think I'm gonna work on it again.  I went to the Bunny Run in Jackson, TN this weekend and found a gas tank that looks like it will work for this thing.  It is a plastic fuel cell with an aluminum sheet metal cover.  I can't find anything like it online, but it looks like it will work for me.

When I got home, I posed it for pictures.  looks like I have room to move it up and back if needed.

20160416_161803 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

20160416_204518 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

20160416_204527 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

20160416_204615 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

20160416_204545 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

39deluxe

I'm glad to see you back on this one again. I've really missed the updates.  I'm pretty much the king of stalled projects so I understand.

Tom

jaybee

I'm glad to see this project back, was thinking of it just a few days ago.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

papastoyss

Good to see you back again, saw your truck at Jackson, I was having severe back pains, didn't feel socialable. I've been to therapy & chiropractor several times this week , much better now. 2 weeks 'til Knoxville Nats South, gotta get the '40 coupe cleaned up. Was too sore to clean it before Bunny Run, went in Momma's dd. Ever think about mounting a vise on the bed of your truck bed/work bench??
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Flipper

Yeah I saw you walk by once, but I was talking to somebody else at the time.   I never saw you again.

It is hard enough to keep the truck from being a full time work bench as is....

chimp koose

glad to see you back at it , keep on going