Music in our car

Started by 416Ford, January 20, 2016, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Some stereo information for those of us who are out of the loop when it comes to the latest and greatest.
And for those who know less than I do, you will find this interesting also.

Those of you who have seen my car know I run a 55 Ford radio in the console of my 46. The radio did not work and I did not need it to.  I saw a thread on the HAMB for IPODS in car so I installed a PAC a/v output adapter.
After a while we stopped using the IPODS and used our smart phones to carry our music. We were still using the adapter we installed but we were using the headphone jack now rather than the IPOD plug.
While building the new console I wanted to eliminate the cord that hung out of the console so I went to Radio Shack to find a panel mount headphone jack. While I was there I ask him if they had come out with a Bluetooth receiver I could plug into my volume control (PAC lc-1 volume control).
I was surprised when he shown it to me. Best Buy was not able to help me when I ask them but I am all set now.  I purchased a Radio Shack CONNECT IT Bluetooth receiver. I will hard wire it into a keyed hot for charging and my car will now have a Bluetooth stereo system. I will be able to hear my smartphone navigation threw it also.

https://goo.gl/photos/B7XVucSbSyHHQ6si8
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

:shock:  :shock:  :?  :?  ^^^^^

Gee ... My radio still has push buttons , twisty knobs & a flapper door to put a plastic thingie with music inside..  8)

Music through a phone  :?: Must be a LONNNGGG wire .. :roll:  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

416Ford

If yours take plastic thing in it, it is newer them mine. :)
The phone is smarter then I am, I can't carry a tune by my phone can carries over 1400 songs.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Carnut

Darn, I don't know how to tell my phone how to store and make music. Then again I don't know how to tell my phone to talk to my car radios either.

I definitely am impressed by those that do know how.

kb426

I'm a dinosaur. I use a usb flash drive. I'm without bluetooth. The only option on my wife's Chrysler 300 was bluetooth. She uses it continuously. :)
TEAM SMART

416Ford

I didn't want to put a modern radio in a classic car and the round 55 radio matched the lines of the 46 so I was going to send it out and have it up dated with FM but this is detterr. The 55radio is just there for looks. The volume control is the only thing I need access to. The volume controller is a rectifier I installed where the factory one was.  
It's all just smoke and mirrors. The ampis in the trunk and speakers are in the four corner's. Justneded a way to get sound to the amp.

lofat46

The current issue of Street Rodder has an article on this very topic.  I just skimmed over it but I'll have to go read it a little more closely.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I'm a dinosaur. I use a usb flash drive. I'm without bluetooth. The only option on my wife's Chrysler 300 was bluetooth. She uses it continuously. :)

Isn't a "flashdrive" the thing that makes the light bulb on a camera work  :?:
Kinda like this > :idea:

Maybe you could get a "blue tooth" from the garage helper guy  :?:  :?:  :idea:

Jus' tryin' to help..... :?

Bob... :wink:

kb426

TEAM SMART

BFS57

Hello;
Just got my car back from 2 years of work, not that it really took 2 years just that other projects got done way before mine did.
Installed a Kenwood radio. it is bluetooth so the guy at the installation shop "paired" the I Phone to the radio. I can play Pandora sounds, and when I have an in coming call I just press the phone I con on the radio and Im talking on the phone while driving! So far, JUST GREAT!

Bruce

idrivejunk

I like the sleeper volume knob idea. Last time I went to buy a head unit, I ended up with a $70 JVC from BB. The only critera given to the salesperson was "It has to be able to change to amber illumination.". Fail! So now I have a whole red dash and a blue radio dammit. The array of current options is bewildering, as is the amount of study required just to make a purchase. But I will say they are getting closer to Star Trek days, when all computers understand each other and can chat with one another from across the room.

It blows my mind. I can't put a disc or tape on, but if my phone is in my pocket I can jam on that. Or hear radio stations via my car's radio antenna. Or plug in a USB drive. Or use my Walkman mp3 player via a 3.5 mm jack. Or even tell the radio I don't like that song and don't play it again.

Times are a'changing! If you think about it, everybody can be like Captain Kirk at the helm while in their car now- "Computer... (insert question here)". I need a tricorder app. Ha. Enough Trekkie references. For sanity preservation, I listen to Gunsmoke radio shows on youtube.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Gee . After reviewing all of the above , is it safe to assume that I can let my collection of radio tubes go  :?:.
  With my luck , the market has prolly bottomed out ... :(

And yes ...Selecting replacement audio equipment IS getting harder..  When I asked the kid at the radio store for "something with knobs", he replied "What are those"  :?:  :?
 I tried to find a photo for him on my flip phone with no results ..... :?  :shock:

My 1941 Philco console sounds soooo nice listening to "Old Time Radio" ...  8)

Bob.. :wink:

BFS57

Hello;
Talkin about radio tubes, Just Donated my Aunt's Organ to a resele charoty. That thing had about 200 tubes in it! Weighed a ton too!!

Bruce