Should I go to a colder plug

Started by butch27, August 14, 2015, 05:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

You do need to get the idle circuit set first. It does effect the rest. Buy a Holley. :lol:

wayne petty

chimp at the top said to change the idle air bleeds to lean out the idle circuit.. exactly ..  even though i posted everything..  must check the other stuff i listed..

butch27

O.k How do I change the idle air bleeds on the Edelbrock?

wayne petty

Quote from: "butch27"O.k How do I change the idle air bleeds on the Edelbrock?

perform the remove the idle mixture screws... spray and blow with compressed air first..  

make sure that the idle transition slot is not exposed too far..

can you supply the exact carb number usually found on the foot of the carb.. i once you post that and perform the other procedures.. in an attempt to correct this issue..  i will shove some gas in my van.. and take a morning to drive over to edelbrock in el segundo.  see what they can come up with..

any AFB i have kicking around is a mid 60s model.. so it won't have the exact same calibration components as edelbrock may use..

i also know the people over at walker products..  they are a major carb parts supplier ..  see what they have if edelbrock does not want to handle this issue..  

now i have to dig out that cutaway primary booster i made up..

you might want to also see if you have some kind of digital Tachometer and pull your PCV and block the end of the hose to see what the idle RPM change is..

Mikej

Have you verified the idle adjust isn't working? Throttle plate and idle adjust needs to be made at the same time.

Mac

I keep reading that Eddy carbs are very fussy about fuel pressure. I have a Holley regulator screwed down to 4.5 psi for mine and it made a big difference.
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

Quote from: "Mac"I keep reading that Eddy carbs are very fussy about fuel pressure. I have a Holley regulator screwed down to 4.5 psi for mine and it made a big difference.

wayne totally agrees... a 10 micron fuel filter really helps also...

either what i use on daily drivers.. a 1990 ford ranger fuel filter or

on performance cars..  the Fram HPG-1

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=HPG1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/frm-hpg1

this keeps the super fine sediment out of the fuel system .. where it can hold the fuel pump check valves open and allow the fuel when the engine is shut off to drain all the way back to the tank..

but it can also hold the needle and seat open..  allowing the extended idle fuel level in the bowls to rise uncontrolled. .