Idle adjustment my way

Started by Mikej, August 20, 2015, 12:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

This is the way I learned.

Start by turning the idle adjustment screw out 4 to 5 turns. Yes, rich to lean not lean to rich. Start engine set throttle to manufacture speed. About about 830 rpm. Now turn each idle screw in about 1/4 turn. Keep doing this until the rpm increases. Reset throttle to maintain engine rpm as you go. You will find as you lean out the carb the rpm's will increase. So you are adjust both at the same time. When you get to the highest rpm you will want to lean the carb out an addition 40 rpm. 20 rpm per side. Also if you watch each idle as you lean the carb, the rpm won't change at the same time. Each screw is different and should be adjust as such. So one may be turned 2 and the other 2 1/2. Its ok. When you get done the transition slot adjustment should be set also. No tip in hesitation or gassy idle. This is the lean drop method.

butch27

Doesn't turning them IN make it leaner and OUT gives more fuel??

Mikej

Quote from: "butch27"Doesn't turning them IN make it leaner and OUT gives more fuel??

Yes. Start rich. Then adjust to lean.

tomslik

Quote from: "butch27"Doesn't turning them IN make it leaner and OUT gives more fuel??

there were some carbs that screwing the screws in made them richer....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Mikej

Quote from: "tomslik"

there were some carbs that screwing the screws in made them richer....

Not to common I'm guessing.
But would work in this case also. Just turn the screw the opposite directions.