59 Ford left rear brake

Started by 348tripower, August 11, 2015, 05:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have a guy near me working on the brakes of a 59 ford. He is a pretty good mechanic.  He rebuilt everything front and rear. It is all stock components. The left rear brake had been hanging up and that is what started the complete rebuild wheel cylinders and all. After it was all done the left rear brake still drags and heats up and smokes. Anybody have any ideas on this?
Don Colliau

58 Yeoman

Did he check the brake lines? It could be partially plugged.  I had a '46 Ford truck that the front brakes would stick; the flex lines were bad on the inside.  They would let pressure through, but took a long time to go back.

Could be the one side metal line, the distribution block or the flex line, though I would think that if it's the flex line, both rears would bind.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Check to see if the shoes are on correctly. If there isn't enough clearance and the fluid in the wheel cylinder heats up, it could cause that.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Frozen parking brake cable on the left side  :?:  

Bob ..  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

348tripower

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Did he check the brake lines? It could be partially plugged.  I had a '46 Ford truck that the front brakes would stick; the flex lines were bad on the inside.  They would let pressure through, but took a long time to go back.

Could be the one side metal line, the distribution block or the flex line, though I would think that if it's the flex line, both rears would bind.

new lines
Don Colliau

kb426

Don, I reread this. If the problem was there in the beginning and the replacement parts didn't repair it, doesn't that mean we're looking in the wrong place? What didn't get replaced maybe the cause?
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

This is a long shot but I have seen it many times ...There are usually 6 little areas on the backing plate where the edge of the brake shoe rides ..This area will wear over time & develop a "ledge" or stepped area causing the edge of the shoe to get "caught" & not retract properly.. This causes the lining to constantly ride on the drum..
I have seen them so bad that the area needed to be welded up & then ground down to provide a new wear surface .. ( It needed a new backing plate , but I'm a thrifty devil.. :roll:  )

I think that this or the parking brake cable is about the only thing that will affect one side only after a full rebuild ...

Please let us know what he finds ...

Bob ..  :wink:

chimp koose

I think ugly olds has your answer . Two votes from team smart.

chimp koose

That or he has two primary shoes on one side and the secondaries on the other or shoes reversed on drivers side

UGLY OLDS

What did he find  :?:  :?:   We gotta know   :!:  :!:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:

348tripower

Don Colliau