A/C high pressure line blew

Started by junkyardjeff, August 09, 2015, 06:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I was charging up the system in my 88 bronco that had been converted to the new stuff and just when the pressure started to get in green zone on the gauge and started to get cool the line burst,it could be the line was ready to go but is there anything I should look for while I have the system apart. The compressor was making strange noises so there will be a junkyard trip next weekend.

GPster

I'd suspect the hose. There should have been a high pressure switch to shut off the compressor if it was the factory system. If someone wired across the shut off the system that was designed to run on R12 it still should be able to stand higher pressure than R143 puts out unless the system is full of air. Some of those compressors will pump the oil out of them selves and into the evaporator if they are run low on refrigerant for a long period of time. R143 requires a different oil so maybe the change from R12 wasn't done the right way. GPster

junkyardjeff

I had to jump the cut off switch to get the compressor to turn on to suck in the refrigerant but the pressure was not even high on the gauge,since it needs a compressor I will evacuate the system and put new oil in since I have no clue on what was done.

enjenjo

Drain the compressor too when you change the oil. And add the oil back in the compressor.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Old hose?  New freon with higher pressures.

The new a/c on my house, the ground compressor  unit makes an odd noise as it shuts down.

A/c tech guy  told me the new freon in house units, runs higher psi.  Screw type compressor is running normal he said
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mikej

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I had to jump the cut off switch to get the compressor to turn on to suck in the refrigerant but the pressure was not even high on the gauge,since it needs a compressor I will evacuate the system and put new oil in since I have no clue on what was done.

You don't know what the high side pressure was without a proper gage. I may well have been to high.

papastoyss

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I had to jump the cut off switch to get the compressor to turn on to suck in the refrigerant but the pressure was not even high on the gauge,since it needs a compressor I will evacuate the system and put new oil in since I have no clue on what was done.
BE sure you replace the drier  & blow out the lines & condenser & evaporator, they can hold debris from the failed compressor & bingo, another failure.I like to place a shop fan in front of the grille while charging up a system, esp. if there is not an aux. fan on the condenser.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!