1940 Buick radio grill

Started by 50jimmy, June 21, 2015, 02:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50jimmy

Does anyone know what is supposed to hold this heavy cast chrome item in the grill of the 40 buick?  It was rattling so I diddled with it and it fell out and I cant find and clips or such in the dash or on the floor.

50jimmy

I meant what holds the speaker grill in the dash.

39deluxe

n.c.rodder

I used to own a 39 Buick Sedan. Mine never had any clips either, it just laid in there.

When I redid the wiring, I mounted the fuse panel behind the grill, made for easy access.

I stuck foam tape to it to get read of any rattles.

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

50jimmy

I appeciate your comments.  The 40 speaker grill is vertical, it doesnt have a "curve" at the top like a 39 to help hang the grill in the dash.  This grill has four rectangular "pegs"  about a 1/4 wide and 1/8 thick that fit into square holes in the dash.   I am imagining some sort of clip that these pegs must force apart as they are pushed into the holes in the dash.  However I have spent a long time online and havent found any evidence...

Just hanging the speaker grill in the dash doesnt work, it falls out.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

50jimmy

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"Something like this work?  

http://autobodyclips.com/Hardware-%22U%22-&-%22J%22-Nuts/c82_14/p2105/2105/product_info.html

This is the type of clip that holds the center grille in my '40 Olds ... after looking at my handy-dandy Fisher body manual, your Buick should be the same ....I tried to scan a better photo from the manual , but the "scan" function of my printer is light years ahead of my skill set.... :roll:  :oops:

There should also be a "screen",( think window screen,) on the inside of the grille so you cant see through the opening between the grille bars ..
On my Olds , this center grille area makes for a HUGE non-adjustable A/C vent ...  :idea:
Mrs. Ugly normally wears a sweater when we travel..... 8)

Hope this helps .....

Bob ...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

50jimmy

Yes...that speaker grill looks a lot more like the one in this 40 buick.   The clip pic you posted would work as long as the springy parts were to almost meet in the middle, as the metal "pegs" that fit into the rectangular holes in the dash are approx 3/16 thick and about 3/8 long oriented vertically.   So...the pegs would push into the dash and the clips would grab the  pegs from behind and hold the grill in place.

This car at one time had some sort of late model grill in it and the P.O. had a rod shop put a mostly stock dash back in...The gauge area has had some work done on it to take a set of aftermarket gauges.  The vintage air is sitting  behind the speaker grill and the vents, controls, and radio are in a custom made sheet metal extension of the dash....(box hanging underneath the dash all the way across.)

I'll see if I cant figure out how to put up a pix or two.

50jimmy

Pic of 40 buick dash

50jimmy

UGLY OLDS

The grille should have a "post" in each corner that will line up with the hole in the dash in each corner of the dash opening ..  The retaining clips will go on to these "posts" to retain the grille in the dash ... Can you provide a photo of the rear of the speaker grille with close ups in the corners ???

Bob ....  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

50jimmy

Yes. Thats correct about the "posts"...each side also has one additional post located about one third down from the top.  I can do the picture soon.

papastoyss

'40 Fords have a similar peg holding the speaker grille thru the dash. The clips should be available from Bob Drake if you can't find them locally.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

50jimmy

For anyone interested, I found that the outside insulation off romex 12-2  electric wire is a pretty good fit.  We drove the buick around a bit yesterday and the radio grill stay ed put.   I will still see about getting some proper clips ordered.