Transmission ID ??

Started by Beck, May 05, 2015, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I went to a little tractor pull. I saw this transmission setup and couldn't ID it.
This was installed behind a Pontiac Super Duty 4 cyl. The bellhousing appears to have a GM bolt pattern. I thought it was a 58 to 64 Chevy 3 speed, but the Richmond logo throws me off. Someone could be playing and put that bogus logo on it??

Anyone know what is involved in building/installing a shorty output for one of these. I think this was a dirt track type setup before the days of the Burt style gearboxes.

This transmission was behind a CrowerGlide type clutch. It is full centrifugal with NO clutch peddle. The owner/driver was having problems getting it to grab at the right time. I like this idea for my tractor. The clutch is pricy though. I was quoted $2100 for a new 2 disc.

EDIT: The text wasn't big enough on my photos. They read "sticker" on the Pontiac logo, "Richmond Transmission" on the side, and "shorty conversion" at the tail shaft.

enjenjo

If it's based on the 55 to 64 BW three speed, the side cover will have 4 bolts holding it on. The case does not look like a factory case, it's a bit too square. No clue on the shorty conversion.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.