blasting

Started by trackster, April 23, 2015, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Has any one used the Dustless Blasting process I see in some ads.  Uses ground glass and water.  I need to strip a 39 Chevy sedan body and am considering my options.  Any comments, rants or raves are welcome!

Gary
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

UGLY OLDS

Lookie right here  for the full skinny ........ Posted Sept 04/2014

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13152&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=40

Back to your regular programing ........

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

trackster

Looks really good.   Local Dustless Blaster quoted $900 to do my sedan.  A little too pricey for my budget!  Gonna have to do it the hard way I guess.  Thanks for the input.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

purplepickup

How bad is the '39? If it's just paint removal, a good DA, lots of sandpaper, and a good helping of elbow grease works but I'd be tempted to blast if there's significant rust. It sounds tempting to have them come to you and be done with it in just a couple of hours. It sure looks like Don's Plymouth came out looking nice.

I've never had a car stripped but a friend had a really nice '57 Bel Air 2dr HT and wanted to strip it about 6 years ago. A local media blaster convinced him that he could do the job with dry media safely with no warpage. Well, it turned out the car did get warped and regardless of whose fault it was, the near pristine car was ruined. It took a lot of work and money to make it look presentable. If that kind of situation can be avoided $600-$900 might be worth it.

I googled and see you have a few mobile dustless blasters in southern Ohio. Maybe calling around will find a better price. As someone noted, the pictures on their ads don't show many people using respirators. It seems like breathing the mist wouldn't be good...dunno.
George