Rustoleum paint and urethane hardener?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 11, 2015, 11:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

My John Deere blitz black paint sat on my shelf too long(5+ yrs).  it has separated. No amount of stirring - shaking will make it well again.

It was suggested I use Rustoleum paint on a chassis.  With hardener in the paint, it is more durable and cheaper to use than Blitz black.  I have not priced out anything yet.

looking for flat black appearance on this chassis & other parts.

Likely will paint the roof of my 1962 falcon too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=126411

What I do know, is that hardener has a shelf life.
So don't buy a gallon of hardener.

enjenjo

I have used both the Farm and Fleet, and TSC versions of the Valspar with hardener and got good service out of it. They have a nice satin black.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

TSC changed suppliers for their tractor paint from Valspar to Majic but I used some with hardener and it sprayed as well as Valspar and, once cured, seems as durable. Just a technicality I guess.  I'd definitely use it again.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

guess I will go buy some more John Deere paint.  Makes the most sense ...
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

bought 1 gallon Blitz black.  $39.49  out the door

the fellow indicated that activator was not really needed.  he said a few body shops in the area buy this by the case, so it is fresh paint.  Hope so
Tony

chimp koose

crosley there was a rather long and opinionated thread on the hamb about rustoleum. There is a lot of good advice from guys that have had success with it using some sort of activators with it to get it to dry hard. I painted my 65 merc 1/2 ton with straight rustoleum 5 or so years ago . never washed never waxed always outside driven in snow and salt and it is just now starting to show some rust where I had hastily repaired it before (no prime no metal prep). I would do it again any day.