Ford p/s box imput shaft seal replacement

Started by junkyardjeff, January 30, 2015, 11:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have a 69 p/u box that the seal is leaking and the column is out and can get to it,can it be replaced still in the vehicle or will the box have to be disassembled.

enjenjo

If you can get the seal out without damaging the shaft, yes, but it's difficult without the special tool Ford made for that, kind of a hollow easy out with a hole for a slide hammer, or a push bolt, depending on the model.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

I use sheetrock screws.............carefully
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

junkyardjeff

I think I will get a reman steering box since it has very high miles later and add some sealer fluid to the system until then.

wayne petty

a few things..  the column has to come out.. not hard..

the ford couplings do not fit into a groove like later steering couplings.. so be sure they are tight..  i have had them separate from the box after decades of use..

you should be able to do the seal thru the hole in the floor with the column out..

you will if you are thinking about this want to check the play in the shaft. the upper and lower bearings have failed when they got really loose..

bottom of the frame rail under the steering box is a crossmember.. the front side is riveted.. the back side is bolted.. its a 7/16 bolt so you will need a 5/8 and 11/16 set of tools to tighten it ..  this stops the box from rocking the frame rail.. really makes it steer better..

some of the steering linkage parts are getting harder to find.. check them before getting the steering box removed.. so you have them.. i know that you know all this.. i am like underwear.. just trying to cover your tush..

junkyardjeff

I am going to get a rebuilt box later this year,it turns easier to one side then the other so not worth the time to mess with it.