Need to ID a NV3500

Started by Beck, January 29, 2015, 10:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I need help identifying which variant of NV3500 I have. The history of this unit is long gone. The tag on the bellhousing is also gone. What I have to work with is the rear case casting number and an ID number stamped into a tab on the passenger side where the front and rear cases meet. The rear case # is 18566. The ID number on the tab is H4R04. There is supposed to be a number on the front case which I have not located.

The transmission has the 4.02 (low) 1st gear and 2.32 2nd gear. If Wikipedia is right that means it came from a 1500 series truck, not an S10. The person I got it from thought it was from a S10.

I got the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel with the transmission. I did NOT get the fork or a slave cylinder.  The bellhousing does have the pivot ball intact (hidden by the input shaft in the photo), so I know there was not a hydraulic throw out bearing. I can't figure out what was used to activate the fork. I expected bosses or lugs to mount the slave cylinder to. There is nothing, just 2 holes. One on the bottom of the fork cavity is threaded with a busted off plastic plug. The other is on the end of the fork cavity where I would expect a rod/cable/slave to access the fork. This hole is a little rough, not well cast, and the surrounding metal is thin.

There are several variants to this transmission. Some have 4 shifting forks others have one. I removed the shifter and see just one rod, but I don't know what I am looking for. I need to know what I have to buy the correct parts.

Beck

Is this a 5LM60?
Does the slave mount forward next to the block?
Could be late 80's to 90's?

wayne petty

on the bottom near the transmission mount. are there any stamping numbers.. like a partial vin..   i know you probably looked but i had to ask..

Beck

Quote from: "wayne petty"on the bottom near the transmission mount. are there any stamping numbers.. like a partial vin..   i know you probably looked but i had to ask..
No I have not looked there. I was hesitant to roll the transmission up side down for fear of fluid all over the floor. I will check this evening.

This transmission has the electric speedo output. I don't know when they switched from cable output.

I have always used automatic transmissions. I am really stupid about all the manual stuff. This is another learning curve for me. This isn't an ideal transmission for me, but the price was right... Free... I may still decide not to use it.

I am beginning to believe the hole in the end of the fork cavity isn't supposed to be there. That is where the end of the slave cylinder pin would hit if the fork was missing.

Using info from the web describing the ball in the shifter tower location, my unit is pre NV3500. It is the weaker, less desirable predecessor to that. I understand that the front bearings are failure points on these. The input shaft has no play on this one.

This post leads back to my Jan 31 post looking for a lightweight transmission. I have not been successful in finding a RAT-V. Those trucks are all gone around here. I have not weighed this transmission yet. I will do that tonight also.

enjenjo

QuoteI have not been successful in finding a RAT-V. Those trucks are all gone around here.

I believe I have one in the stash, let me check. It's your for free, and I make a trip about once a month to Montecello Il where you could pick it up. Or, I will be traveling through St Louis in the near future
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

Quote from: "wayne petty"on the bottom near the transmission mount. are there any stamping numbers.. like a partial vin..   i know you probably looked but i had to ask..
Wayne,
There are no numbers near the mount. The only stamped #s are those a bit higher at the case parting line I listed before H4R04.

Beck

What year did GM switch from cable to electric speedometers?